Main content

Recommended videos

Highlights: Richmond v Carlton

11:17pm Mar 27, 2014

Malthouse rues costly mistakes

11:44pm Mar 27, 2014

Blues dish out ban to guilty Scotland

Ben Collins  January 23, 2013 7:43 PM

272459-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Heath Scotland will miss the first two matches of the year through suspension

The club is very disappointed in Heath’s actions as they did not uphold Carlton’s core values and behaviours

CARLTON has suspended Heath Scotland for the opening two rounds of the AFL premiership season after the veteran pleaded guilty to an assault charge.

Scotland – the Blues' reigning club champion – will be available for selection in the NAB Cup but will play for Carlton’s VFL affiliate the Northern Blues during his suspension.

The Blues also ordered Scotland to make a $3000 donation to a related charity after admitting his role in a fight at the Mulwala Ski Club in January last year.

The AFL has endorsed the sanction.

Carlton football manager Andrew McKay said Scotland was punished because it was deemed he had not meet the club’s high expectations for player conduct.

"The club is very disappointed in Heath’s actions as they did not uphold Carlton’s core values and behaviours," he said.

"Heath has expressed considerable remorse for his actions and … understands this is a serious matter and accepts the club’s reasoning."

Scotland will make the $3000 donation to Les Twentyman’s 20th Man organisation, which provides educational, sporting and counselling services to the homeless and disadvantaged, and which Scotland has worked with over the past 12 months.

In October, Scotland was placed on a two-year good behaviour bond over the incident.