Quiet games against Melbourne and Giants sees Jarrad Redden replaced in the ruck
PORT Adelaide ruckman Jarrad Redden has "limitless potential", but there's no room in the Power's side for poor form says assistant coach Shaun Rehn.
Such is the new era of selection at Alberton where reputation counts for nothing.
Power senior assistant Alan Richardson talked up Redden in the pre-season as having the talent to develop as quickly as Adelaide's Sam Jacobs.
But his 11-hit-out performance against Greater Western Sydney last weekend was enough to see him replaced by Hawthorn premiership ruckman Brent Renouf, who impressed for Norwood.
Dropping Redden after one bad performance was a "harsh" call, according to Rehn, but it was the right call.
"He's a young lad with limitless potential and I think that 'Reddo's' going to be an extremely good ruckman…[but he] had a little drop off in form on the weekend," Rehn said.
"Very harsh call for one week, but…[it's] not a tough call because we've got three ruckman really up and running and competing against each other.
"There's a fair bit of pressure to perform week to week now that we've got those guys."
Redden was the last to leave the field after Saturday morning's training session at AAMI Stadium after enduring various run-through's and sprinting drills with the club's high performance manager Darren Burgess.
Rehn said the 22-year-old's omission from Showdown XXXIV
would ultimately be a good thing and make him a stronger player.
"When you do have a little set back by not being included in the team I think you learn and you grow stronger by it," he said.
"I don't see it as a negative that he goes back [to the SANFL]. He's done a great training session today and purely on his performance at training he'll place pressure back on Renouf and (Matthew) Lobbe."
Rehn said the development of some of the Power's youngest stars over the pre-season could sound trouble for the Crows in Sunday's clash.
He said that if the Power's performances in last year's Showdowns were anything to go by, they would be in with a genuine chance this time around.
"Some of our kids are a year older (and) a bit more experienced, and even looking back on last year we did take Adelaide to the line on both occasions and we were unlucky in a number of ways," he said.
"Even in the second game when our form was down, it wasn't until very late in the game that Adelaide was able to break us.
"We’ve improved, so I hope we can take it right to the line against Adelaide on Sunday."
Harry Thring is a reporter for AFL Media. Follow him on Twitter: @AFL_Harry.