SYDNEY says its AFLW players are "deeply disappointed" with the alleged incident involving five of the club's men's players, which is now subject of a police investigation.

The five players – Riley Bice, Nick Blakey, Isaac Heeney, James Jordon and Chad Warner – have been suspended for the rest of the season for breaching club standards, independent of the ongoing investigation by Victoria Police.

CEO Matthew Pavlich and Swans chairman Andrew Pridham faced the media on Wednesday morning and expressed support for the club's W players, who opened their season with a win over Adelaide on Sunday.

"(The W players are) deeply disappointed, like we are," Pavlich said.

"Their welfare is the utmost importance to us and we're supporting them as best we can. We've met with them a number of times, and we continue to work closely with them.

"Because they've got a game to prepare for on Sunday, they had a wonderful victory in Adelaide last weekend. Being there and seeing the enthusiasm as that season begins, we are supporting them as best we can."

19:13

Swans officials speak after banning five stars for season

Watch the full media conference as Sydney chairman Andrew Pridham and CEO Matthew Pavlich speak to the media

Published on Aug 19, 2026

The Swans will play a double header this Sunday, with the women's team to face Essendon at the SCG at 12.30pm followed by the men's team against North Melbourne at 3.20pm.

Pridham recognised the event, originally a celebration for the entire club, will be challenging in light of the allegations.

"It's going to be difficult," Pridham said.

"Our approach very much will be to celebrate having a historic double header with the women's team playing and I know they're very excited about that. We just have to make it as normal as possible, clearly respecting the circumstances this week is going to make that difficult.

"But we're hopeful that our fans turn up to the extent that they feel willing to do so and come and support the teams."

Lucy McEvoy with fans after the match between Adelaide and Sydney at Unley Oval in round one, 2026. Picture: AFL Photos

Pavlich said creating an environment that is safe and respectful of women remains of "utmost importance" for the club.

"All I have seen so far at this football club, barring this significant incident, is that we are one club and that we treat and respect women incredibly well, it is at the utmost importance to our football club," he said.

"We have a huge female supporter base, we have a huge academy that has boys and girls playing in it, and all women deserve to be treated respectfully, and feel safe."

The club also acknowledged the impact the allegations have had on its women's program in a detailed statement released on Tuesday night.

"The Sydney Swans condemn all forms of abuse and disrespectful behaviour towards women. Any conduct that causes offence or harm to others is unacceptable and falls well short of our expectations. All women deserve to be respected and feel safe.

"We also want to acknowledge that the care and welfare of our AFLW athletes and staff is of the utmost importance to us as a Club. They have been and will continue to be offered the support they require and we acknowledge the impact these allegations have on our female athletes, staff members and the wider community."

21:03

TAGGED: Long socks, Bevo’s locks, how the Roos can be stopped

Sarah Hosking is buzzing after a Chemistry Cup win, Jordyn Allen knows how North can be beaten, and Elaine Grigg throws Luke Beveridge in the deep end (of the pool) on this week’s episode of Tagged.

Published on Aug 17, 2026

AFL CEO Andrew Dillon also acknowledged the allegations in a statement on Tuesday. 

"The woman who made the report to police is entitled to privacy and care, and that should be respected," Dillon said.

"It is important that the police process is allowed to run its course.

"Sexual assault allegations are serious, regardless of who is involved, what time of year it is, or what they may mean for a season."