THE FIVE players banned by Sydney on Wednesday have broken their silence, saying they are "deeply sorry to everyone involved".
In a joint statement, Riley Bice, Nick Blakey, Isaac Heeney, James Jordon and Chad Warner said their actions have "fallen well short of the standards expected of us and the values of our club".
"We are deeply sorry to everyone involved. We know that our behaviour has fallen well short of the standards expected of us and the values of our club," the statement read.
"We know we have let down our partners and families, members, supporters, teammates, the AFLW team, corporate partners and everyone at the club and the wider community.
"We accept the club sanction and apologise for the impact this has had on those involved.
"Our focus will now be on rebuilding trust with the club and the community."
It comes after the five were suspended for the rest of the season by their club on Wednesday for their involvement in a alleged incident in Melbourne early on Monday morning, which is now the subject of a police investigation.
Earlier on Wednesday, Swans chairman Andrew Pridham apologised for the scandal that has engulfed the club and the AFL, while CEO Matthew Pavlich said the club is "deeply embarrassed and ashamed" of the players' involvement in the alleged incident.
"There is deep disappointment at the club at what has occurred and we know that many people are hurting," Pridham said.
"This is a very sad day for us and everyone involved.
"The players involved are extremely remorseful for their actions that have breached club standards. The sanction that we have imposed and the impact that will have on our football season is clear for all to see.
"The fact that we've got to the place where we are today, and we've effectively suspended the players for the balance of season when we're heading into a final series, just tells you how seriously we've taken it.
"The only way we can deal with it is to put our foot down incredibly hard, which we've done.
"A very important point to make that we, as a football club, that is our business and to effectively torpedo our season by making decisions just tells you how serious we're taking it."
While the five players won't be eligible for selection again this season, they will be invited back to the club at an appropriate time.
"We're not abandoning our players," Pavlich said. "We are supporting our players through this really challenging time for them."
Meanwhile, the AFL Players' Association said its thoughts were with the woman involved and reaffirmed its commitment to supporting members impacted by the ongoing matter.
"The sexual assault allegations raised this week are very serious. Women should be treated with respect in private and public spaces. The AFLPA is committed to continuing to play its role in making the game safe and inclusive for all women," AFLPA CEO James Gallagher said.
"Our thoughts are with the woman who brought this matter to the relevant authorities, and they should be afforded our respect, privacy, and support.
"The AFLPA acknowledges the impact this has had on our AFLW members, as well as recognise the effect on their families, industry staff, the football community and members of the public.
"We are committed to supporting all of our members who may be impacted by these events as well as those close to them."
- with AAP