Main content

Heeney injured as first-half blitz powers Swans over Dees

Highlights: Melbourne v Sydney Swans The Demons and Swans clash in round six
Sydney Swans players celebrate a Josh Kennedy goal during the 2015 AFL Round 06 match between the Melbourne Demons and the Sydney Swans at the MCG, Melbourne on May 09, 2015. (Photo: Darrian Traynor/AFL Media)
It was hugs all round for the Swans but there will be some anxious waiting over Heeney's injury

THE SYDNEY Swans have atoned for a shock loss to the Western Bulldogs last round, with high-priced forward Kurt Tippett firing his side to an emphatic 38-point win over Melbourne on Saturday night. 

But it was soured by a likely posterior cruciate ligament injury suffered by rising star Isaac Heeney, who was substituted in the second quarter when he landed awkwardly after a marking contest.

"Our doc thinks it's probably four to six (weeks)," Swans coach John Longmire said.

"That's obviously straight after a game – he hasn't had a scan yet – but that's the early diagnosis … Hopefully that's a good sign."

Longmire pleased as Swans restore order in chaotic round

Heeney's injury was a rare lowlight for the visitors, who effectively killed the match when they piled on seven goals to one before half-time.

Returning to the MCG for the first time since last year's Grand Final debacle, the Swans produced a vastly superior performance to run out 12.16 (88) to 7.8 (50) winners over the Demons.

Tippett booted four majors and feasted early on high-quality delivery from his teammates, with Josh Kennedy (31 disposals, two goals) and Tom Mitchell (27) leading an impressive midfield brigade.

The Swans' weight of forward 50 entries (61-31) overwhelmed the Dees, although in-form Melbourne defender Tom McDonald could hold his head high after keeping superstar Lance Franklin goalless.

Click here for full match details and stats

Christian Salem (24 disposals) and skipper Nathan Jones (25) also fought hard, but it was to little avail as the Dees repeatedly butchered the ball.  

Despite never being in the match after quarter-time, Melbourne wasn't far behind on tackles (74-86) or contested ball (-8) against the AFL's No.1 ranked side. But their skills were ordinary at times and deplorable at others, with the Swans ruthlessly punishing turnovers in fine conditions. 

First-gamer Billy Stretch was Melbourne's only goalkicker to half-time, with last year's No.42 draft pick joining the first kick, first goal club with a composed set shot at the 11-minute mark of the opening term. 

But the Swans booted 10 of the next 11 majors, laying the groundwork for their fourth win of the season, as they also snapped a two-game losing streak. 

The victory was their ninth from the past 11 clashes with the Dees and lifts them to third on the ladder with a 4-2 record. 

Despite the defeat, Melbourne coach Paul Roos was still upbeat after the match, pleased with his side's ability to win the second half by two points (6.5 to 5.9). 

"That was (looking like) a 100-point loss at half-time and we played against a team that's clearly going to be at the pointy end of the season," he said. 

"The first half we just couldn't get into the game because of their pressure. At some point you've got to give credit to the opposition and where we're at and where the opposition's at." 

The Dees (2-4) might have an anxious wait to see if midfielder Bernie Vince is available for their round seven clash with Hawthorn after a high bump on Mitchell in the second term, although the Swans onballer was able to take his free kick and carry on. 

The Swans face Geelong at ANZ Stadium next round.

Tom McDonald continued his great season keeping Buddy Franklin goalless. Picture: AFL Media

MELBOURNE   1.1   1.3    4.5     7.8 (50)
SYDNEY           4.3    7.6  11.9  12.16 (88)

Melbourne: Garlett 2, Hogan 2, Stretch, Newton, Dawes
Sydney: Tippett 4, Kennedy 2, Pyke, McGlynn, Jetta, Hannebery, Parker, Goodes

Melbourne: McDonald, Salem, Jones, Hogan, Vince
Sydney: Mitchell, Kennedy, Tippett, Jack, Parker, Jetta, McVeigh

Melbourne: Dawes (right knee), Tyson (left knee)
Sydney: Heeney (right knee), Lloyd (ankle), Hannebery (left ankle)

Melbourne: Watts replaced Pedersen in the third quarter.
Sydney: Goodes replaced Heeney in the second quarter.

Reports: Nil

Umpires: Margetts, Findlay, Harris

Official crowd: 26,894 at the MCG

The views in this article are those of the author and not necessarily those of the AFL or its clubs