Main content

New deal for young Demon: Christian Petracca signs two-year contract extension

Melbourne draft pick Christian Petracca poses during the 2014 NAB AFL Draft at the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre, Gold Coast on November 27, 2014. (Photo: Lachlan Cunningham/AFL Media)
No.2 draft pick Christian Petracca has signed a new contract extension

MELBOURNE has locked in a key part of its future, with last year’s No.2 draft pick Christian Petracca signing a new two-year deal.

AFL.com.au revealed earlier this month that the bullocking midfielder/forward was set to sign a contract extension, with Petracca officially putting pen to paper on Saturday.

The contract extension ensures Petracca will remain in red and blue until the end of 2018.

The 19-year-old tore his anterior cruciate ligament during the pre-season and will miss the rest of this year.

Petracca said he was thrilled to pen a new deal.

"From day one I knew I wanted to re-sign, I love the club," he told News Corp.

"When I did my knee I wanted to feel secure. I know I have all the time in the world (to rehabilitate) and this club is on the up.

"To see the transition of some of the young guys who are now playing great footy and the leadership we have around the club and the new coaching group, with (Simon) Goodwin and (Brendan) McCartney, it is so beneficial for us boys."

The deal follows that of No.3 pick Angus Brayshaw, who also signed a two-year contract extension through to the end of 2018.

Christian Salem and Jay Kennedy-Harris have also recently extended their stays at the club with new deals.

Petracca won the Larke Medal last year as the standout player of the under-18 championships, having averaged 25 disposals in five games for Vic Metro.

He also starred for the Eastern Ranges in the TAC Cup, where he again averaged 25 disposals and kicked 19 goals in nine matches.