Main content

Dockers defender fractures thumb in the WAFL

Zac Dawson of the Dockers in action during the 2014 AFL Round 13 match between the Richmond Tigers and the Fremantle Dockers at the MCG, Melbourne on June 14, 2014. (Photo: Michael Willson/AFL Media)
Fremantle defender Zac Dawson has broken his thumb in the WAFL

FREMANTLE key defender Zac Dawson has suffered another setback after fracturing his thumb in the WAFL on Saturday.

Dawson played his first game for the year for Peel Thunder last Saturday after battling groin issues throughout the summer and the early part of the season.

But he injured his thumb early in Peel's 71-point loss to Claremont and Fremantle coach Ross Lyon told 6PR on Monday night Dawson requires surgery that will sideline him for a few weeks.

"He's broken his thumb," Lyon said.

"So he'll need a bit of a pin put in."

Despite the Dockers' relatively small injury list they are a bit light on for key defenders with Alex Silvagni still seven to nine weeks away from returning after hamstring surgery.

Lyon also revealed that defender Lee Spurr suffered a heavy cork in the Dockers' win over Adelaide last Saturday night. The Dockers have a six-day turnaround before hosting Richmond at Domain Stadium on Friday night.

"Spurr is a bit sore," Lyon said.

"He had that badly corked leg. We're hopeful he'll come up.

"It's more than likely we'll be unchanged but we've got to get through the week."

Lyon also said Anthony Morabito is facing an uphill battle to play any football this year as he waits for bone bruising to settle in his knee.

"Anthony and I had lunch last Friday just to check in," Lyon said.

"He's got bone bruising.

"Julian Feller is the surgeon in Melbourne and he's consulting with guys from London, Melbourne and the Perth surgeons here. He just needs some more time for the bone bruising to settle. He's boxing and riding and once it settles he'll start running but he'll be at a disadvantage for the rest of the year obviously."

Morabito has not trained this year after signing a one-year contract at the end of last year. He played three games for Fremantle last season after three successive knee reconstructions kept him out of the AFL for three years.