Main content

Hogan free to play, Hodge fined for dangerous tackle

Hogan reported Jesse Hogan is on report for striking Jarryn Geary
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JULY 17: Jesse Hogan of the Demons is reported during the 2016 AFL Round 17 match between the St Kilda Saints and the Melbourne Demons at Etihad Stadium on July 17, 2016 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Adam Trafford/AFL Media)
Jesse Hogan was reported for a high elbow which connected with Jarryn Geary

MELBOURNE spearhead Jesse Hogan has escaped suspension for striking St Kilda defender Jarryn Geary accepting a $1000 fine from the Match Review Panel.

Hawthorn captain Luke Hodge is also free to play this weekend after accepting a $1000 MRP fine for his tackle on Sydney Swans defender Callum Sinclair, while North Melbourne veteran Michael Firrito was found to have no case to answer for his high tackle on Port Adelaide's Jarman Impey.

In the only other penalty issued by the MRP from round 17's games, Port forward Jay Schulz has accepted a $1000 fine for tripping North defender Robbie Tarrant.

Hogan hit Geary in the jaw after he threw his arm back in a marking contest in the fourth quarter at Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

The MRP assessed Hogan's action to be careless conduct with low impact to the head.

Hodge's tackle on Sinclair came in the second quarter of the Hawks' thrilling win at the SCG last Thursday night.

The Hawks captain threw the Swan to the ground in the tackle. Hodge had Sinclair's arms pinned at the time, which meant his head hit the turf.

No free kick was paid at the time, but the MRP assessed Hodge's action to be careless conduct with low impact to the head.


Schulz tripped Tarrant during the fourth quarter at Etihad Stadium on Saturday night, with the MRP finding the Power forward's action was intentional conduct with low impact to the body.

The charges against Hogan, Hodge and Schulz were all deemed worthy of $1500 fines, but the trio reduced their sanctions to $1000 with early pleas.

Firrito caught Impey high when he met him front on in the second quarter last Saturday night.

Impey had the ball and was running forward towards his team's goals at the time of the collision.

The Port Adelaide player had already evaded two opponents and, as Firrito ran towards him, tried to change direction, lowering his body to try and get around the North defender.

Firrito caught Impey with his chest, resulting in a free kick to the Power speedster.

The MRP found there was insufficient force in the high contact to constitute a reportable offence.