Main content

Injury wrap: More pain for Cats and Giants

Tigers 'have power to go all the way' Rodney Eade joins Callum Twomey and Matt Thompson to dissect week one of the finals
Cam Guthrie looks on after suffering a calf injury - AFL,Geelong Cats,GWS Giants
Cam Guthrie looks on after suffering a calf injury

CAM Guthrie and Jake Kolodjashnij's finals campaigns remain in jeopardy after suffering calf injuries in Geelong's 51-point qualifying final loss to Richmond.

Guthrie knew he was in strife early in the third quarter when he signalled to alert the bench during a stoppage at half-back.

The 25-year-old left the field almost immediately with a noticeable limp and headed to the rooms with the medicos.

Guthrie emerged a few minutes later and had an ice pack strapped to his injured calf, taking no further part in the match.

Kolodjashnij sat out most of the final term with his own calf injury and was icing his lower leg after the game.

Speaking post-match, Cats coach Chris Scott described Guthrie's injury as "significant" and added he was "more optimistic on Kolodjashnij but not overly optimistic".

Geelong youngster James Parsons hurt his right foot/ankle in a second-quarter contest and hobbled to the rooms for treatment.

The 20-year-old, who suffered a midfoot sprain to the same leg against Greater Western Sydney in round 23, returned later in the quarter.

Speedster Jordan Murdoch was also sore in the second term when Tigers defender Alex Rance fell across his right leg but, like Parsons, finished the game.

The Cats take on Sydney in a do-or-die semi-final on Friday night at the MCG.

Richmond midfielder Brandon Ellis appeared to hurt his right shoulder in a bone-jarring collision and head clash with Cats superstar Patrick Dangerfield.

Ellis had a spell on the bench before half-time and spoke to the team doctor, but played out the second half.

Greater Western Sydney has major injury worries ahead of Saturday night's must-win semi-final against West Coast, headlined by forward Jeremy Cameron and ruckman Shane Mumford.

Cameron's run of hamstring injuries continued in the 36-point qualifying final loss to Adelaide when he was forced to sit out the entire second half with his left leg strapped in ice.

It was the third time in the last two months Cameron had injured his hamstring, although the previous setbacks were to his other leg.

The 24-year-old, who had separate two-week hamstring injury layoffs from mid-July, is now in doubt for the rest of the Giants' finals campaign.

Mumford, meanwhile, arrived back in Sydney on Friday on crutches as he battles a troublesome ankle problem.

Giants midfielder Stephen Coniglio was slow to get to his feet after Cameron slid into his left knee in a contest near the boundary line in the second quarter.

Coniglio looked proppy, but was able to play out the game.

Giants midfielder Ryan Griffen made his comeback from a long-term ankle injury in Friday's reserves practice match with the Crows.

The 31-year-old, who had been sidelined since suffering a syndesmosis of the left ankle in round three, could be considered for a spot against the Eagles, according to Giants NEAFL coach Brad Miller.

"His whole preparation over the last five, six weeks has been about putting his hand up for finals and he's got himself back and given himself a chance, so absolutely, he's in the frame," Miller said.

"He played his 70 per cent of game time and was able to come off and got through unscathed."

Sydney superstar Lance Franklin suffered up a corked right thigh after copping a knee from Essendon defender Brendon Goddard in a first-quarter marking contest in the 65-point elimination final win.

The 30-year-old had his upper leg heavily strapped by the physios soon after and hopped on an exercise bike at quarter-time to increase blood flow.

He did not let the injury concern affect him, booting the first three goals of the second term in the space of five minutes – and finishing with four majors for the quarter.

Given the insurmountable Swans lead, Franklin began the final term on the bike at the interchange area and was rested thereafter.

"He iced up about five minutes into the last (quarter) but if we needed him, he would've been able to keep playing," Swans coach John Longmire said post-match.

"He's OK. He'll be a bit sore tonight and a bit sore tomorrow, but he'll ice up and be fine."

Young Sydney defender Lewis Melican was a late withdrawal against Essendon with quad tightness.

Adelaide defender Brodie Smith will be sidelined for up to 12 months after scans confirmed he ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee against Greater Western Sydney.

The 25-year-old's knee gave way as he attempted to change direction to tackle Giants midfielder Josh Kelly near the boundary line at half-forward in the first term.

Smith, who kicked the Crows' first goal of the match with a long bomb on the run, left the ground in the hands of trainers unable to put any weight on his injured leg.

He was taken to the rooms for assessment and emerged on crutches just before quarter-time with his knee strapped in ice.

Crows speedster Charlie Cameron was left a little dazed in the third term when he leapt for a pack mark and received a head knock, but he played on.

Adelaide will regain vice-captain Rory Sloane (appendix surgery) for the home preliminary final against either Geelong or Sydney on Friday night, September 22.