MURRAY Newman has been delisted by West Coast ahead of his December trial on a grievous bodily harm charge, but the Eagles have committed to reclaiming the small forward in this month's NAB AFL Rookie Draft.
Newman, who turns 20 next week, was charged after an alleged incident in November 2012 at a Perth nightclub that left a man with severe facial injuries.
His trial is listed to begin on December 16 in Western Australia's District Court and is expected to run for three days.
West Coast football operations manager Craig Vozzo said the fact Newman's trial began after this month's NAB AFL Draft had forced the Eagles' hand.
"The trial is post-draft and because of the seriousness of the offence and uncertainty around the outcome, we have had to take the step of delisting Murray, but have also pledged to support him through the process," Vozzo said.
"While we have cut him from the primary list at this stage, we have committed to keep Murray at the club via the rookie draft.
"We have supported him through a very difficult period
and will continue to do so during the challenging period ahead."
Newman's manager, Jason Dover of Stride Sports Management, told AFL.com.au his client had been buoyed by the support the Eagles had given him.
"The football club has been like a second home for Murray and has provided a welcome distraction in what's been a difficult time," Dover said.
"Importantly, Murray has returned to pre-season training in great shape and is looking forward to repaying the support the club has given him."
Newman was the Eagles' first selection in the 2011 NAB AFL Draft, at No. 23 overall, and played four games in an encouraging debut season.
However, Newman did not play a senior game in 2013 after starting the pre-season in such bad condition he was beaten by then Eagles coach John Worsfold in a two-kilometre time trial.
In July, he was given leave from the Eagles after abruptly leaving a WAFL game at quarter-time while playing for Swan Districts.