Andrew Dillon speaks with media at AFL House on November 10, 2025. Picture: AFL Photos

THE AFL has engaged an independent lawyer to review the Geelong concussion case as the subject of the controversial waiver, defender Jake Kolodjashnij, sits out of all football this weekend. 

AFL Commission chairman Craig Drummond on Saturday recused himself from the AFL's investigation into the Jake Kolodjashnij concussion form, with the legal eye now central to the League's process.

Veteran defender Kolodjashnij missed training on Monday and won't play either VFL or AFL this weekend, with the club saying his wellbeing was its top priority.  

"Across the weekend, the AFL CEO and Commission met (minus Craig Drummond) and engaged independent legal counsel to assist the Commission's determination in response to Geelong's submission," an AFL spokesperson said.

Geelong is due to have submitted its findings to the AFL by close of business on Tuesday.

CEO Andrew Dillon has asked the Cats to send the review directly to him, with the case to be overseen by the independent legal counsel.

Potential findings and any sanctions are not expected to land until next week at the earliest.

On Monday, Cats assistant coach Nathan Buckley said Kolodjashnij's career was in a "holding pattern" as the Cats await a response from the AFL over the matter and the Cats confirmed on Tuesday evening that the veteran defender would not play at any level this weekend. 

"Jake Kolodjashnij will be unavailable for selection at AFL or VFL level this weekend," Geelong said in a statement. 

"The care and wellbeing of Jake remains the Club’s priority, and the Club will continue to support him and his family through this period." 

Kolodjashnij, a member of the Cats' 2022 premiership team, didn't train on Monday after coming forward as the previously unidentified player who came to an agreement with the club over his history of head knocks.

After missing all of the 2025 season due to groin, hip and back issues, the 31-year-old has made 11 AFL appearances this year.

He was managed out of the team in round 19 and has played one game in the VFL since.

"He was going along his business having chosen his path forward and wanting to play the game and understanding the risks and the circumstance that he was in," Geelong defensive coach Nathan Buckley told Fox Footy on Monday night.

"With the advent of this revelation, his circumstances have changed quite significantly.

Jake Kolodjashnij ahead of Geelong's clash with the Western Bulldogs in round six, 2026. Picture: AFL Photos

"Didn't see him at the club (on Monday), but the club is putting a lot of support around him.

"But he's in a holding pattern, waiting to see what happens to his career beyond here."

Kolodjashnij dealt with concussions during the 2024 season, but ultimately signed a two-year deal until the end of 2026.

His twin brother Kade, who played for Gold Coast and Melbourne, prematurely retired in 2020 due to concussion-related issues.

- with AAP