WHERE AND WHEN: MCG, Sunday, March 31, 1.10pm
TV, RADIO AND BETTING: Click here for broadcast guide
LAST FIVE TIMES
R9, 2010, Melbourne 17.9 (111) d Port Adelaide 16.14 (110) at TIO Stadium
R21, 2010, Port Adelaide 17.10 (112) d Melbourne 11.17 (83) at AAMI Stadium
R7, 2011, Melbourne 17.11 (113) d Port Adelaide 14.8 (92) at TIO Stadium
R24, 2011, Port Adelaide 17.10 (112) d Melbourne 15.14 (104) at the Adelaide Oval
R17, 2012, Melbourne 8.8 (56) d Port Adelaide 12.12 (84) at TIO Stadium
THE SIX POINTS
1. Port Adelaide has won three of its past four clashes against Melbourne and the Power have been victorious in seven of their past 10 contests since 2007.
2. This will be the 26th clash between the sides, with Port Adelaide holding a narrow advantage in winning 14 games to Melbourne's 11.
3. Melbourne has not won a round-one game since 2005, when it defeated Essendon by 46 points. The club has lost its past six opening matches (including a draw) by an average of 45 points.
4. The Demons have a favourable record in games played against the Power at the MCG, winning seven of their eight meetings. Port Adelaide's lone win at the venue came in 2007.
5. Both teams struggled in their attacking efforts last year, with both Melbourne and Port Adelaide ranked 15th and 16th respectively in the competition for inside 50s.
6. However, Melbourne excelled in the contested marking area in 2012, ranking second in the competition, while Port Adelaide struggled, coming in at 16th.
The views in this story are those of the author and not necessarily those of the author or the clubs