Main content

Fremantle cuts two rookies from its list

New Fremantle rookie Michael Wood addresses the media  during a Fremantle Dockers press conference at Fremantle Oval, Fremantle on December 2, 2013. (Photo: Michael Willson/AFL Media)
Michael Wood is one of two Fremantle delistings so far
FREMANTLE has delisted rookies Sam Menegola and Michael Wood. 

The pair joins recent retirees Kepler Bradley and Scott Gumbleton as casualties of 2014. 

Menegola joined Fremantle at the 2012 rookie draft after a year on Hawthorn’s rookie list. 

Drafted as a lead-up forward, Menegola played mainly through the midfield in 14 games for Peel Thunder in the WAFL in 2014, but failed to make his AFL debut. 

Wood, 20, was taken in the 2014 rookie draft, kicking 15 goals in 13 games for Peel Thunder. 

"It’s never easy making these decisions, but unfortunately they have to be made," Fremantle football operations manager Chris Bond said.

"On behalf of the Fremantle Football Club, I thank both Sam and Michael for their contributions during their time here.

"They are both fine young men and we wish them all the best for the future."

Meanwhile, midfielder Jacob Ballard has signed a one-year contract extension, which will see him remain on the club’s rookie list for the 2015 season.

Ballard, 20, was selected with pick 47 in the rookie draft last year.

The club said it will continue to review its list during the AFL trade and free agency period in October.