Main content

Jay Kennedy-Harris signs new deal with Demons

Jay Kennedy-Harris of the Demons in action during the Melbourne Demons training session at Gosch's Paddock, Melbourne on November 05, 2014. (Photo: Michael Willson/AFL Media)
Jay Kennedy-Harris has signed a new deal with the Demons
MELBOURNE has re-signed exciting young forward Jay Kennedy-Harris, tying him to the Demons for a further two seasons.
 
The 19-year-old, who had one year to run on his existing contract, has extended his stay at the club until the end of the 2017 season.
 
Demons football manager Josh Mahoney told AFL.com.au Kennedy-Harris was a key part of Melbourne's future plans.
 
"We're happy that Jay has signed on for another two years," Mahoney said.
 
"He showed some good signs in his first year and has developed further this pre-season and we look forward to what he can produce in the coming years."
 
 
The 173cm small forward played 14 games in his first season in the AFL and started as the substitute on six of those occasions.
 
But he was quick to make an impact in his time on the ground. 
 
His tenacious tackling pressure was important for the Demons, while he also displayed a nous for goal that Melbourne had lacked in recent years.
 
Kennedy-Harris kicked nine goals and averaged 10 disposals per game in his debut year.
 
However the inclusion of former Blue Jeff Garlett this season is sure to help Kennedy-Harris, with the pair set to form a damaging small forward combination.
 
"We see Jay playing a role in our forward line," Mahoney said.
 
"We're really looking for him to continue to improve on some of the signs that he showed last year."
 
The 19-year-old spent more time in the midfield when playing for the Casey Scorpions in the VFL and averaged 22 disposals per game at that level last season.
 
Kennedy-Harris was drafted by Melbourne with selection No.40 in the 2013 NAB AFL Draft, joining Christian Salem (pick No.9) in playing football at AFL level in 2014.
 
The contract extension comes on the same day as the season-ending knee injury suffered by Christian Petracca, the No.2 pick in last year's draft.