Main content

Luckless Docker Morabito delisted, but set for rookie lifeline

Anthony Morabito of the Dockers celebrates with supporters after the 2014 AFL Round 17 match between the Fremantle Dockers and the GWS Giants at Patersons Stadium, Perth on July 13, 2014. (Photo: Will Russell/AFL Media)
Anthony Morabito has managed just three games since 2010

FREMANTLE is committed to redrafting Anothny Morabito as a rookie after delisting the luckless Docker on Friday.

Morabito, who has undergone three knee reconstructions in his six-year career, was cut from the senior list after further knee troubles kept him sidelined for the entire 2015 season.

The 24-year-old, who was a budding star in his debut season, has played just 26 games since he was selected with pick No.4 in the 2009 NAB AFL Draft.

He travelled overseas in July in an attempt to recover from the severe bone bruising he was suffering on his troublesome left knee.   

The midfielder held discussions with the club on his future in recent weeks and it was decided he would stay on as a rookie.

"We want to retain Anthony on our playing list," list manager Brad Lloyd said.

"Anthony has had a challenging time with injury but we still think he has a lot to offer our playing list.

"It was a decision reached mutually with Anthony."

Check out 2015's retirements and delistings and take the quiz

Fremantle has also committed to re-drafting midfielder Josh Deluca as a rookie after the 19-year-old was delisted earlier this month.

Running defender Ethan Hughes will be promoted to the senior list after a promising 2015 season that included his AFL debut.

"Ethan really advanced well last year playing for Peel and deserves a place on the primary list next year," Lloyd said.

"He is a good size and a good athlete, and showed his potential at the elite level in his debut against Port Adelaide in round 23."

Versatile tall Tanner Smith will be retained on the rookie list.