GEELONG'S Daniel Menzel is in line to play in the opening round of the NAB Challenge after putting together an excellent pre-season following his late-season comeback in 2015.
While there is still 11 days until next Friday night's game against Collingwood at Simonds Stadium, the Cats told AFL.com.au the 24-year-old would be considered for selection.
Such has been his progress over summer, there is no reason why Menzel would miss out on playing his first pre-season game since 2011. The only consideration is the best way to prepare him for the upcoming season.
Menzel made a remarkable comeback from his fourth knee reconstruction in round 22, 2015, kicking four goals against Collingwood 1448 days after his previous game in September 2011.
He was then subbed out of the final game of the season, with Geelong coach Chris Scott admitting after the game his nerves played a part in the decision to take him off the ground.
But Menzel has been impressive through the pre-season, performing well in match simulation last week.
The Cats' home game on Friday night could also feature star recruit Patrick Dangerfield but the club will be without the Selwood brothers - skipper Joel, who is overcoming a foot injury and Scott, who had an ankle operation soon after arriving at the club as a free agent from West Coast.
Dual premiership defender Harry Taylor told Cats TV last week the players were keen to lock horns against real opposition, particularly with so many new faces on the list in 2016.
"Hopefully we’ll be taking that pretty seriously," Taylor said.