Main content

Dons cut draftee, put full stop on Kommer

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - AUGUST 27: Nick Kommer of the Bombers marks the ball during the 2016 AFL Round 23 match between the Essendon Bombers and the Carlton Blues at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on August 27, 2016 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Dodge/AFL Media)
Nick Kommer has been delisted by the Bombers

THE AFL career of small forward Nick Kommer appears over after Essendon delisted him after an injury-troubled run at the club. 

The Bombers cut the 26-year-old on Wednesday along with first-year half-forward Yestin Eades, despite Eades being picked up only last year. 

The club says it will consider re-selecting Eades, with a rookie option seeming the most likely possibility after just one year in the system. 



Who's hanging up the boots? Keep track of 2016's retirements and delistings

Kommer played three games this season under coach John Worsfold after struggling with knee tendinitis that all but ruled him out of football in 2014 and 2015. 

He joined the club as a late mature-age pick from the WAFL at the end of 2012 and played 19 games in the Bombers' 2013 season. 

His whole 22-game career at Essendon came as the supplements scandal clouded the club, but he remained one of its most well-liked players in the period.  

"Nick is a wonderful young man and an extremely popular member of the playing group," Essendon football manager Rob Kerr said.

"Despite the injury setbacks Nick has faced since arriving at the club, he has always maintained professional standards and shown commitment in his approach to developing his football career."



The pair join James Gwilt, Jason Ashby, Shaun Edwards and Tom Wallis as the club's delistings so far this off-season. Adam Cooney and Tayte Pears have retired, while Michael Hibberd was traded to the Demons.