Main content

Lions duo locked in: Berry, Cutler ink new deals

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - APRIL 09: Debutante, Jarrod Berry of the Lions celebrates his first AFL goal during the 2017 AFL round 03 match between the St Kilda Saints and the Brisbane Lions at Etihad Stadium on April 09, 2017 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Adam Trafford/AFL Media)
Jarrod Berry has signed on until 2020

THE BRISBANE Lions have locked away one of their brightest stars, re-signing first-round draft pick Jarrod Berry for two more seasons.

Injured defender Tom Cutler has also put pen to paper on a fresh two-year extension. 

Berry, a North Ballarat product, has resisted the lure of returning to Victoria and will remain in Brisbane until at least the end of 2020. 

The 19-year-old, who is great mates with fellow Lions draftee Hugh McCluggage, was taken with pick 17 in last year's NAB AFL Draft and has made five appearances in his debut season.
Berry made his debut against St Kilda in round three and is averaging 10 disposals – 3.8 contested - and 3.6 tackles a game.

"We're extremely excited to extend Jarrod's contract," general manager of football David Noble said.

"Jarrod's an exciting player who has a desire to win contested footy. He's shown us glimpses of that ability already.

"Jarrod is great to have around, has a positive attitude that contributes to the culture of our club."

Cutler, 22, has played 38 games since he was drafted in 2013 and is expected to return from a hamstring complaint next week.

The 191cm running half-back was due to come out of contract at the end of this season.

"We were really pleased to re-sign Tom," said Noble.

"We see Tom as a long-term player for our club and we believe he has a strong part to play in our future.

"We're laying the foundations for continued improvement. We want to become relevant again and these signings are recognition of that."

The Lions have lost six straight games since a two-point win over Gold Coast in round one and face Hawthorn in Launceston in round eight.