Main content

Recommended videos

Highlights: Richmond v Carlton

11:17pm Mar 27, 2014

Malthouse rues costly mistakes

11:44pm Mar 27, 2014

Dees want Hogan in the NAB Cup

Peter Ryan  February 11, 2013 3:49 PM

272585-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

The Dees are hoping the AFL will allow Jesse Hogan to play in the NAB Cup

MELBOURNE will request the AFL for permission to allow its 17-year-old recruit Jesse Hogan to play in this season's NAB Cup.

The strong key position player from Western Australia was selected by the Demons in last year's mini-draft, but is not eligible to play in the AFL until 2014.

The Demons confirmed on Monday they would apply for permission for Hogan to play after the AFL revealed that Gold Coast's Jack Martin 17-year-old selection had received permission to play in this season's NAB Cup.

Hogan, who turns 18 tomorrow, played colts football with Claremont and represented WA in the AFL Under-18 Championships.

He will line up for the Casey Scorpions in the VFL during season 2013. Hogan has been progressing well in his first season but the Demons are determined to develop him with a focus on his long-term. They also consulted Adelaide and Gold Coast to learn more about how they managed Brad Crouch and Jaeger O'Meara in 2012.

While at the Demons' training camp in Darwin Hogan told AFL.com.au he was settling in well.

"They (Melbourne) are obviously very patient and understanding of my situation," Hogan said.