Richmond and St Kilda clash at the MCG on Friday night
After losing to Gold Coast by 13 points in its season opener, St Kilda will be desperate to atone on Friday night and avoid its first 0-2 start to a season since 2000. The Saints slumped in the final term against the Suns, allowing Gary Ablett to run riot sand snatch a win for his young team. Richmond, meanwhile, will enter this clash buoyed by its first round-one win since 2008. The Tigers had a last quarter to forget, however, and were fortunate to escape with a win. Key midfielders Trent Cotchin, Brett Deledio and Dustin Martin were all in top form.
WHERE AND WHEN:
MCG, Friday April 5, 7.50pm
TV, RADIO AND BETTING: Click here for broadcast guide
LAST FIVE TIMES
R10, 2012, Richmond 18.13 (121) d St Kilda 16.17 (113) at Etihad Stadium
R2, 2011, St Kilda 13.17 (95) drew Richmond 14.11 (95) at the MCG
R21, 2010, St Kilda 17.13 (115) d Richmond 14.10 (94) at Etihad Stadium
R11, 2010, St Kilda 14.13 (97) d Richmond 8.11 (59) at Etihad Stadium
R13, 2009, St Kilda 13.14 (92) d Richmond 5.6 (36) at Etihad Stadium
THE SIX POINTS
1. St Kilda and Richmond met only once in 2012, in round 10 at Etihad Stadium, and the Tigers won a thriller by eight points.
2. The Tigers midfield proved the difference last time with Cotchin, Deledio and Martin all winning more than 25 possessions. No St Kilda player had more than 25.
3. The Tigers narrowly won the contested possession count 144 to 139 in round 10 last season.
4. The past two clashes between the sides have gone down to the wire with a draw in 2011 and an eight-point result in 2012.
5. With that win in 2012 Richmond defeated St Kilda for the first time since round four, 2003; prior to last season the Saints had won 13 in a row.
6. At the MCG there have been 30 previous matches with 19 wins to the Tigers, eight to the Saints and three draws. This will be only the second Friday night clash at the MCG between St Kilda and Richmond in history.