Main content

Recommended videos

Highlights: Richmond v Carlton

11:17pm Mar 27, 2014

Malthouse rues costly mistakes

11:44pm Mar 27, 2014

Wellingham fit and hoping for a recall

Justin Chadwick  July 15, 2013 4:48 PM


Eagle midfielder Sharrod Wellingham says he is over his ankle issues

On my side of the table, I'm feeling ready to go. Now it's just up to the match committee
WEST Coast midfielder Sharrod Wellingham hopes he is finally over his ankle curse as he prepares to make his AFL return in Sunday's clash with the Sydney Swans at Patersons Stadium.

Wellingham has endured a torrid time since arriving at the Eagles from Collingwood late last year, with a pre-season trampoline mishap forcing him to spend almost three months on the sidelines.

Then in his third game for the Eagles, Wellingham badly damaged his other ankle, resulting in another six weeks in the stands.

The 25-year-old has since made it through two hit-outs in the WAFL reserves, and joked he needed to avoid showing any signs of a limp at training this week in order to push his case for a senior recall.

"I've completely overcome the injury," Wellingham said on Monday.

"I'm sure I've done enough work. On my side of the table, I'm feeling ready to go. Now it's just up to the match committee."

Star midfielder Luke Shuey is also in line to return against the Swans, but Daniel Kerr may need another week to recover from a rib and knee complaint.

The Eagles remain a game adrift of eighth spot following Sunday's 28-point loss to Fremantle, and Wellingham is desperate to play a key role as the club attempts to snare a finals berth.

"If I can be a part of the side that plays some good finals footy this year I would be ecstatic," said Wellingham, who played a starring role in Collingwood's 2010 premiership triumph.

"I love playing finals and I'm really looking forward to the challenge the team's got in front of us."

West Coast forward Mark Nicoski is another player who has endured rotten luck on the injury front this year.

A recent wrist injury ended his season prematurely, and the 29-year-old had to deal with more bad news on Monday when he found out his house was burgled.

"To the thieves who broke into my home at 10am this morning and managed to take everything of value in 45 mins. Keep it," Nicoski tweeted.

"But plz return my croation (sic) grandparents wedding rings, goldchains n pendants. No questions asked."