DEMONS Jeremy Howe and Jimmy Toumpas and Magpies Paul Seedsman and Ben Kennedy got to their preferred new homes in a complicated four-club trade on Monday afternoon.
Howe was traded to Collingwood, Toumpas to Port Adelaide, Kennedy to Melbourne and Seedsman to Adelaide.
In the complex deal:
- Adelaide received Seedsman and gave up pick No.32;
- Collingwood received Howe and pick No.68 and gave up Seedsman and Kennedy;
- Melbourne received Kennedy and picks No.29 and 50 and gave up Howe and Toumpas;
- Port Adelaide received Toumpas and pick No.32 and gave up picks No.29, 50 and 68;
Howe and Seedsman were among the most heavily courted players this trade period, with North Melbourne and Gold Coast both pursuing the pair and the Sydney Swans also suitors for Seedsman.
Melbourne made no secret of the fact it would have preferred to deal with Gold Coast on Howe, with the Suns offering a trade in which, among other things, they would have swapped pick No.3 for the Dees' pick No.6.
Howe, 25, leaves the Demons after 100 games and 80 goals, and countless mark-of-the-year nominations.
The Tasmanian was used primarily in defence in 2015, but Collingwood plans to play him as a hard-running forward/wingman.
Seedsman, 23, had an outstanding start to 2015, playing 10 of Collingwood's first 12 games, most memorably winning the Anzac Medal for his 31-possession, best-on-ground performance against Essendon in round four.
But Seedsman then fell out of favour, playing just two more games for the season.
Recruited from the Eastern Ranges with pick No.76 in the 2010 NAB AFL Draft, Seedsman made his debut for the Pies in round one, 2012, and played 49 games.
Toumpas was the No.4 pick in the 2012 NAB AFL Draft but struggled to establish himself as a regular senior player in three seasons at Melbourne.
The midfielder played 27 matches with the Demons, including just nine this year, and sought a move back home in an attempt to rejuvenate his career.
Kennedy also struggled for senior opportunities after being taken early in the 2012 national draft.
Selected by the Magpies with pick No.19, the South Australian could not establish himself in the Pies' best 22 in his three seasons at the Holden Centre, managing just 25 games, including five in 2015.
THE OFFICIAL PAPERWORK
- Collingwood exchanges Paul Seedsman to Adelaide for its round-two selection (currently No.32).
- Melbourne exchanges Jimmy Toumpas to Port Adelaide for its round-three selection (currently No.50) and its round-four selection (currently No.68).
- Melbourne exchanges Jeremy Howe and its on-traded round-four selection (currently No.68) to Collingwood for Ben Kennedy and its on-traded round-two selection (currently No.32).
- Melbourne exchanges its on-traded round-two selection (currently No.32) to Port Adelaide for its round-two selection (currently No.29).