tmedia
Main content

Recommended videos

Highlights: Richmond v Carlton

11:17pm Mar 27, 2014

Malthouse rues costly mistakes

11:44pm Mar 27, 2014

Recommended articles

Sunday football as it happened

Sunday football as it happened

Recap Port's Showdown upset, plus big wins for the Hawks and Tigers

11:45am Apr 14, 2013

St Kilda v Richmond as it happened

St Kilda v Richmond as it happened

 Recap Friday night's MCG clash as the Tigers make their best start to a season in 16 years

04:00pm Apr 5, 2013

Carlton v Collingwood as it happened

Carlton v Collingwood as it happened

Recap Friday night's blockbuster as the Blues capitulate in front of 78,000 at the MCG

10:36pm Jul 5, 2013

Saturday football as it happened

Saturday football as it happened

Recap a day bookended by two major boilovers

01:00pm Mar 30, 2013

Fantasy review: round three

Fantasy review: round three

It was a tough round for AFL Fantasy coaches, Warnie writes

10:42pm Apr 6, 2014

Football world sends off Hafey in style

Football world sends off Hafey in style

Tom Hafey remembered as a great coach and a wonderful man

06:15pm May 19, 2014

'We think that's unfair': Power hopes for top-up answer from AFL next week

Harry Thring, with AAP  January 29, 2016 3:10 PM

AFL 2015 Rd 21 - Hawthorn v Port Adelaide

Former Bomber Angus Monfries is facing a year-long ban

The ideal response is that we're not two players short of every other club going into the 2016 season

PORT Adelaide expects to know next week whether it will be allowed to start the 2016 season with the same number of players as its opposition.

The Power are allowed to upgrade two rookies to cover suspended pair Angus Monfries and Patrick Ryder but are, at this stage, unable to replace the two rookies.

In terms of sheer numbers, the scenario would leave the club short of most of their rivals, including Essendon, come round one.

Earlier this month, the Court of Arbitration for Sport imposed a season-long ban on 34 past and present Essendon players, including Ryder and Monfries.

Essendon lost 12 listed players, and the AFL announced the Dons could sign up to 10 temporary primary list players on short-term contracts.

Port has applied to the League for approval to recruit two top-up rookies and chairman David Koch said an answer was anticipated soon.

"That's under consideration at the moment, they've assured us that we'll get an announcement next week," Koch said.

"They're discussing it internally and also with some of the other clubs as well.

"The ideal response is that we're not two players short of every other club going into the 2016 season.

"As the numbers turn out, we're one player short of Essendon - we'll have 42 players, Essendon will have 43, everyone else will have 44, including rookies, and we think that's unfair."

The Western Bulldogs and St Kilda have also publically stated they would like to top up their rookie lists and Koch said he was "heartened" that "all of the clubs affected are aligned on this".

Bulldogs forward Stewart Crameri and St Kilda backman Jake Carlisle have been banned for the season, along with Melbourne recruit Jake Melksham.

Koch spoke on Friday afternoon to announce a new three-year partnership with Bank SA, which sees the bank join the Power as a premier partner – a level down from Renault and Energy Australia.

Asked if Port would take legal action against Essendon over the bans, Koch replied: "That is a decision for the board and we will obviously analyse all options."