OUT-OF-CONTRACT St Kilda forward Josh Bruce is happy to stay at the Saints but isn’t in a hurry to sign a new deal.
As previously reported by AFL.com.au, St Kilda and Bruce’s management have opened talks about a new contract and the Saints are confident he will stay at the club.
Bruce said he wasn't in a rush to pen a new deal.
"I think my manager and the club are in talks at the moment. I’m obviously happy at the Saints but I don’t think we’re in a massive rush," Bruce said on Monday.
"At this stage, [I’m] pretty happy."
The 23-year-old kicked 50 goals last year in his breakout season. He had mostly played as a defender in his two years at GWS before being traded to St Kilda at the end of 2013 for pick No. 48.
The Saints are planning on playing Bruce and 2014 No.1 draft pick Paddy McCartin together in attack.
Captain Nick Riewoldt will continue to play up forward but coach Alan Richardson recently told AFL.com.au the champion may spend more time in the midfield.
McCartin tweaked his hamstring during the Saints’ NAB Challenge game against North Melbourne last Saturday but should be fit to play in round one against Port Adelaide.
With McCartin injured 10 minutes into the game, Bruce said he would have liked more time with the young forward to help build the pair’s chemistry.
"It was a little bit [disappointing that McCartin went off]. We’re starting to get a really good combination together," he said.
McCartin played six games in his debut year last season.
Bruce said McCartin was likely to play closer to goal this year, with Bruce given the freedom to roam higher up the ground, taking advantage of his running ability.