Main content

Port confirms Krakouer victim of unprovoked attack

Port confirms Nathan Krakouer was a victim of an unprovoked attack - ${keywords}
Port confirms Nathan Krakouer was a victim of an unprovoked attack

PORT Adelaide half-back Nathan Krakouer had his jaw broken in an unprovoked nightclub attack - but he still also broke the trust of the club, coach Ken Hinkley says.

Hinkley says while Krakouer was the victim of an unprovoked assault at a Perth nightclub, the circumstances don't absolve the player.

Krakouer was struck earlier this month while he was recovering from a hamstring injury, with the club's leadership group imposing a six-week ban from AFL ranks.

"The break in trust, the breach of confidence, in his teammates and us was exactly the same outcome," Hinkley told reporters on Friday.

"The penalty is what it is for Krak having a drink, it's not for anything else.

"But I suppose from a bigger picture point of view, we understand how it happened a little bit better now, because Krak obviously being hit and a broken jaw, you can imagine he would have been unaware of what actually did go on.

"So we checked that out thoroughly and now that is a matter for other people."

Western Australian Police were still investigating the incident.

The incident happened when Krakouer was back in his home city on club-sanctioned leave after Port closed its pre-season with a NAB Challenge win against Richmond in Melbourne.

Port's leadership group banned Krakouer, 27, from AFL ranks for six weeks and he is training with the Power's affiliate club in the South Australian local league.