COLLINGWOOD coach Nathan Buckley has confirmed that Brodie Grundy will score a seven-year deal, after initial reluctance from the club.
AFL.com.au reported last week the Pies upped their offer from five to seven years.
>> The 2019 NAB AFL Draft runs from November 27-28. Follow all the latest news in the draft hub
One of the AFL's best players becomes eligible for restricted free agency at the end of next season, but it is now a matter of when, not if, his new deal with Collingwood is announced.
Grundy and his management made it clear they wanted the seven-year deal.
"It wasn't our starting position (a seven-year offer)," Buckley told SEN.
"But I think what it provides is a little bit of space for us and Brodie's management has indicated that they are keener to do this.
"It just allows us to manipulate where the money goes across the seven-year term."
Buckley was upbeat about the contract negotiations.
"I think we've tabled another offer back to the management," Buckley said.
"We've been confident all along that we'll come to an agreement that suits both parties and there's been a bit of give on both sides.
"(We are) pretty confident that it will get done in due course."
Grundy, 25, has played 132 games at Collingwood since his 2013 debut.
A seven-year deal would effectively confirm him as a one-club player.
Along with his second-straight All Australian selection, this time as the starting ruckman, Grundy was sixth in the Brownlow Medal and won his second club best and fairest award.
Grundy is overseas on holiday and will return early next month.
View this post on Instagram
There had been speculation that the South Australian might consider a move back home if no deal could be reached with the Magpies.
Stephen Coniglio gave GWS a massive boost on the eve of the finals when he turned his back on free agency and signed a seven-year deal.
Tom Lynch also joined Richmond last year from Gold Coast on a seven-year contract.