YOU CAN'T help but be impressed by Nic Naitanui.

Not just the physical specimen, or the footballer, both of which are spectacular. But as a person he is as impressive as they come.

Just twelve hours after kicking a goal after the siren to win the game for West Coast against North Melbourne, he wasn't interested in watching the replay, or thinking about his next contract, or revelling in his stardom.

He was worried about the club's cleaner.

"There was about 30 litres of Powerade in the middle of that changerooms after," Naitanui said.

"I feel sorry for whoever has to clean that up. The boys were pretty excited and pumped."

Watch the last two minutes

He's the type of guy who would clean it up himself if needed.

Naitanui couldn't believe his captain Darren Glass was thanking him for the victory in the skipper's 250th.

"Yeah, he actually did thank me. I don't know why. I was thanking him."

The 23-year-old was emotional in the immediate moments after celebrating the winning-goal, for reasons far more serious than football.

"My girlfriend's little cousin passed away. Being a young little baby it's pretty sad.

"The funeral was yesterday. I guess I was pretty high on emotion and dedicated that game and that finish to them and the family."

"It just puts everything into perspective as well. There's people doing it tougher out there and we're pretty fortunate to be doing what we do everyday."

Naitanui did not attend the funeral, but did attend a mass with the family on Thursday night. However none of that crossed his mind when he lived out every boy's football fantasy at Patersons Stadium.

"It's a scary moment.

"I wasn't frightened, but pretty nervous at the same time.

"I think taking the kick wasn't too bad, but once that siren went I had to go back and adjust again.

"But the boys were pretty vocal and [were] letting me know just to settle my nerves.

"But it felt like the whole Kangaroos team were on the mark at that stage and throwing dirt at me."  

His teammates and coaches were confident, including Eagles assistant coach Justin Longmuir, who managed the same feat for Fremantle against St Kilda in 2005.

"I was pretty confident.

"Our kicking coach Longy (Justin Longmuir) did the same thing in, he calls it his pocket, and [he did] the celebration as well so I owe him a bit of money I think because he's copyrighted that.

"But, no, I was pretty confident in kicking the goal."

Naitanui's mark in the dying seconds was as extraordinary as his goal and evoked memories of Leo Barry from the 2005 Grand Final.

"There was a pretty big pack. I think I was a few deep. I felt if there was a chance to go for the mark, to fly for it, I was going to do it.

"I just backed myself in."

But not everything went Naitanui's way on the night. His first encounter with Majak Daw in the ruck gave his teammates some ammunition.

"I think he beat me in the first CBD, which I wasn't too happy with, and the boys let me know after the game as well."