The AFL has today released the fixturing policy for the 2020 Toyota AFL Finals Series.
As per AFL rules at the completion of the Home and Away Matches, the first eight Clubs on the Final Premiership Ladder shall compete in the Finals Series under the Final Eight System.
Qualifying Final One (1 vs 4)
Qualifying Final Two (2 vs 3)
Elimination Final One (5 vs 8)
Elimination Final Two (6 vs 7)
Semi Final One (Loser of QF1 vs Winner of EF1)
Semi Final Two (Loser of QF2 vs Winner of EF2)
Preliminary Final One (Winner of QF1 vs Winner of SF2)
Preliminary Final Two (Winner of QF2 vs Winner of SF1)
2020 Toyota AFL Grand Final (Winner of PF1 vs Winner of PF2)
With the Covid-19 pandemic affecting the stadiums available to host matches, venues for the 2020 Finals Series Matches, including the 2020 Toyota AFL Grand Final, shall be determined by the AFL Commission in its absolute discretion.
The following parameters shall apply in regard to all relevant circumstances including (but not limited to) the following:
- The relative ranking of the two Clubs involved in a 2020 Finals Series Match based on ladder position at end of Home & Away Matches and, for Preliminary Finals, the winners of Week One Finals Series Matches;
- The respective venue preference(s) of the Clubs (if any);
- The requirements of any State or Territory Government for a Club or Clubs to quarantine prior to or after a match that might be scheduled in that State or Territory;
- The forecast attendance for the Match with a view to maximising attendance;
- The availability of potential venues.
For clarity, the following examples will apply;
- Port Adelaide finishing 1st or 2nd will play Week One of the Finals at Adelaide Oval. If they win, they will play a Preliminary Final at Adelaide Oval. If they lose, they will play a Semi Final at Adelaide Oval.
- Brisbane Lions finishing 1st or 2nd will play Week One of the Finals at The Gabba. If they win, they will play a Preliminary Final at The Gabba. If they lose, they will play a Semi Final at The Gabba.
- West Coast Eagles finishing 5th or 6th will play Week One finals in Western Australia. They, along with their opponent will be required to quarantine for a minimum of seven days in Western Australia leading into the match. Based on a 7-day quarantine period, a final is achievable in Week One given the bye weekend, but not in subsequent weeks. Under the quarantine requirement, both teams will only be allowed to leave their accommodation for training sessions and the match.
- Richmond, Geelong Cats, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs, Collingwood finishing 5th or 6th will play Week One of the Finals at either Metricon Stadium, The Gabba or Adelaide Oval.
Week One of the finals series will be held across three dates:
- Thursday, October 1 (Night)
- Friday, October 2 (Night)
- Saturday, October 3 (Afternoon/twilight and night)
The Week One finals fixtures for of the 2020 Toyota AFL Finals Series will be released following the conclusion of Round 18.
The 2020 Toyota AFL Grand Final will be held at The Gabba on Saturday, October 24 at 6:30pm AEST (7:30pm AEDT).
Ticketing information for 2020 Toyota AFL Finals Series matches will be released this week.