GIANTS midfielder Toby Greene has been suspended for five games and fined $5000 after a late-night incident in Melbourne while on leave.

The GWS board ratified the decision on the recommendation of coach Leon Cameron and the club's leadership group.

Giants chief executive David Matthews said Greene had breached club protocol by drinking while injured and failing to properly notify the club of his arrest on Monday night. 

"We are in no way pre-judging the charges against Toby which will be heard in court later this year," Matthews said.

"However Toby has failed to meet the standards expected of the playing group by drinking alcohol when injured and failing to properly notify the club about a serious incident within an acceptable time frame," he said.

“Toby will receive counselling to ensure he learns from this experience and the standards expected of all players."  

Greene has been charged with a string of offences after an alleged confrontation with a bouncer outside a licensed venue in Melbourne's south-east.

Greene has been charged with intentionally causing serious injury, recklessly causing injury, affray, assault in company, assault by kicking, assault with a weapon, unlawful assault, making threats to inflict serious injury, being drunk in a public place and criminal damage.

Greene, and a 19-year-old man, are due to appear in the Melbourne Magistrates' Court on September 25 - the same day as Greene's 21st birthday.

As revealed by, Greene had been watching the football with mates at Etihad Stadium earlier on Monday night.

Outgoing AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said the League welcomed the Giants stance, saying it sent a "very clear message".

"He accepted that sanction, in fact, as I understand it, he apologised this morning at a player meeting, was very contrite.

"Our policy is if these things are dealt with in-house appropriately then the AFL has no role in it."

However, Demetriou said the AFL could take action if Greene was proven guilty.

"Potentially, if he's found guilty … of a serious offence, potentially that would be a matter for our integrity unit."

Greene suffered an ankle injury in Sunday's loss to West Coast.

With a bye this weekend, Giants players went on leave following the match.