GEELONG accepts it needs to do more work with Steve Johnson to ensure he doesn't leave himself vulnerable to suspension after he was reported in the opening week of the season against Hawthorn.

Johnson was booked for rough conduct on Hawk Sam Mitchell, but escaped with a fine under the revised Match Review Panel system.

Coach Chris Scott acknowledged the round one report indicated the message to avoid trouble was not getting through to the 31-year-old. 

It was the ninth time since 2012 Johnson has found himself charged with an on-field offence and he has been suspended for five matches since the start of 2013. 

"We've addressed it," Scott said. "It is an issue that we need to keep working on obviously because what we are doing is not working." 

Although the MRP assessed Johnson's action as careless and medium impact, Scott said no-one could escape the reality that the talented veteran put himself in marginal positions more than most players.

"We need to work hard to fix it," Scott said. 

Match preview: Cats v Dockers

Scott also said Jimmy Bartel will be in the squad to play Fremantle at Simonds Stadium on Sunday, but will not make a final decision until just before the game, as he recovers from concussion suffered in the final minute of Monday's clash against the Hawks. 

The coach said the decision was in the hands of the club's doctors, but he rated the Brownlow medallist a good chance to take the field. 

He said he didn't expect Bartel's history of head knocks to play a part in the decision and also reminded the media it had been four years since Bartel last suffered concussion in 2011. 

He also said the club would have a better idea on Andrew Mackie's availability after Thursday's training session after the veteran defender missed round one due to quad tightness.  

Scott was not likely to lay the team out on the table, given the importance of the round two clash against the Dockers, but he did say ruckman Rhys Stanley would come under consideration to make his Cats debut.

The Cats will be without star midfielder Steve Motlop for one week after the club suspended him for not meeting the professional standards.