VETERAN forward Jay Schulz has declared he wants to play on after being delisted by Port Adelaide on Thursday.
Schulz, who crossed to the Power in 2010 and played 122 games for the club, did not have his contract renewed and will play his last game for the club against Gold Coast on Saturday night.
The 31-year-old said he was disappointed with the club's decision but left on good terms and was thankful for the opportunity he had been given after starting his career at Richmond.
"I’ve loved my time at Port Adelaide and will always be thankful to the club, in particular 'Choco' (Mark Williams), for giving me a chance," Schulz said.
"While I’m disappointed with the club’s decision to let me go I understand and respect the reasons behind it, and wish them all the best with what I’m sure will be a bright future.
"Personally, I think I have a couple of years of footy left in me and I look forward to developing off-field too.
"Helping young players get the best out of themselves is a passion of mine and I’m keen to pursue a career in coaching once my playing days are over."
Schulz signed a one-year contract for 2016, rebuffing interest from Fremantle at the time and a reported two-year contract to move west.
He led the Power's goalkicking four times and was an All Australian nominee in 2014 when he kicked a career-high 66 goals.
A combination of a serious back injury and form has meant the high-marking forward has managed just six senior games and seven goals this season.
Coach Ken Hinkley said it had been a difficult decision not to renew Schulz's contract and he had made a valuable contribution to the club through his leadership and strength.
"Unfortunately the nature of football means we need to make hard decisions around this time of year, and we need to always have our eyes on what our list needs for the future," the coach said.
"Jay understands that, and he's handled himself superbly throughout our discussions.
"He’ll always be welcome at Alberton and a part of this proud footy club."