THE JINXED run of Collingwood veteran Daniel Wells continues, with the brilliant midfielder expected to be sidelined for up to three months with a left knee injury.
Wells landed heavily on the knee during the Pies' narrow win over Sydney at the SCG on Friday night, damaging both the posterior and medial ligaments.
Amid fears he had sustained a career-ending injury, the 34-year-old consulted renowned orthopaedic surgeon Julian Feller on Sunday, after which it was decided Wells would forego surgery in the hope of making a late-season return.
The Magpies said Wells' knee would be placed in a brace for some weeks before making gradual return to strength and conditioning work.
"Surgery was an option but this course firstly allows Daniel to make a full recovery and, secondly, keeps alive the possibility of a return to playing in 2019," Collingwood football manager Geoff Walsh said.
"The recovery has to be strong and a priority, which it will be, but Daniel has the prospect of playing again to aim for."
Wells had been playing his first AFL game in 11 months, after overcoming a long-term foot injury, when disaster struck in the third quarter against the Swans.
The 258-gamer had earlier showcased his class by slotting three of the Pies' first four goals.
A dual best and fairest winner with North Melbourne, Wells has played just 15 games for Collingwood since joining the club at the end of 2016. He is in the final year of a three-year contract.