ESSENDON will monitor a corkie to gun recruit Dylan Shiel over the next week, while Carlton is breathing a sigh of relief following a similar injury to star forward Charlie Curnow during Thursday night's bruising JLT Community Series clash at Ikon Park.

Shiel, playing in his first game for the Bombers following a high-profile move from the Giants during the NAB AFL Trade Period, was withdrawn at the start of the last quarter after copping a knock from Blues ruckman Andrew Phillips.

He was limping badly after the match, having gathered 15 disposals prior to his injury, but said afterwards that he wasn't too concerned by the extent of the blow.

BLUES ON FIRE Full match coverage and stats

"I just copped a corkie from my old Giants teammate," Shiel told Fox Footy.

"It's just what you want to finish off your first match in your new colours … a corkie from the big ruckman.

"It's too early to tell (whether I'll be fit to play Geelong in JLT2 next week). I'll assess it over the next 48 hours and we'll go from there."

Curnow was also withdrawn early, limping from the field during the second quarter after appearing to cop a nasty blow to his leg in a marking contest.

The big Blues forward looked in pain as he landed, but quickly brushed off the attention of club doctors to make his way to the bench unassisted.

"It was just a cork," Carlton assistant coach Dale Amos said.

"It was one of those things. In the JLT, at half-time, we just decided to pull him off the back of that. But it was no-risk and he should be fine."

WATCH Dale Amos' full post-match media conference

Essendon monitored a number of players through its opening JLT game against Carlton, with Dyson Heppell (hamstring), Zach Merrett (ankle) and Devon Smith (biceps) all returning from summer injury setbacks in the club's narrow nine-point defeat.

Heppell and Merrett played only the first half, while Smith was introduced after the main break, with all three managing to get through unscathed.

Joe Daniher also made his return from almost a year out of the game with osteitis pubis, kicking one goal in a quiet display but lasting three quarters before he was taken off.

"It's good to see," Essendon assistant coach Mark Harvey said of Daniher's return.

"Given the period of time he's been out … we were really excited for Joe that he was back out there and playing with the group.

"He took a couple of good marks. He looked a bit scratchy at times, as most of our players did, but he went into the ruck and did a little bit and sat behind the ball at times.

"It's a bit unfamiliar to him. But I'm sure in the coming weeks, you're going to see Joe hitting his straps."

WATCH Mark Harvey's full post-match media conference

Essendon rookie Tom Jok was also withdrawn in the final term after suffering a concussion.