STAR North Melbourne midfielder Daniel Wells has told the club he is leaving after 14 years.
As an unrestricted free agent, he can go to the club of his choice.
Collingwood has reportedly offered Wells a three-year contract worth up to $1.8 million.
"We're obviously disappointed to be losing someone of Daniel's calibre but we respect his decision," Roos football manager Cameron Joyce told nmfc.com.au.
"Daniel has been an outstanding player and person and we wish him all the best.
"We have benefitted from free agency over the past few seasons and fully respect the system."
The Roos had offered the 31-year-old a two-year deal worth up to $1.1 million.
Wells managed 19 games this season but played only 12 the previous two years.
His departure comes after Brent Harvey, Drew Petrie, Nick Dal Santo and Michael Firrito were told they would not be playing with the Roos next season.
Geelong list manager Stephen Wells said earlier on Monday that Wells would not be going to the Cats.