THE APPOINTMENT of Carlton's new coach will play a key part in whether out-of-contract forward Lachie Henderson re-signs with the Blues.

There has been significant interest from rival clubs in Henderson, with Geelong heavily linked to the 25-year-old.

Henderson said he was yet to place a specific date on making a decision on his future, while he also revealed the identity of the Blues' replacement for Mick Malthouse would factor into his thinking.

"There's no timeline on it (his contract)," Henderson said at the Royal Children's Hospital on Tuesday.

"There's a lot going on around the club, there's a lot going on with me to try to get my footy back to where it needs to be, and we'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

The Blues are yet to officially begin their search for their next senior coach following the club's decision to sack Mick Malthouse after eight rounds of the season.

However, who the club decides to bring in is important to Henderson.

"You want to know where the club's going and the direction of it, so that's definitely part of it," Henderson said.

"But it goes back to my footy again. I've got to play some good footy."

Henderson disagreed with the sentiment that the longer he remained unsigned, the more it appeared as if he had decided to leave.

"Perception can be seen both ways. So I'm more than happy that you can say that the perception can be that I'm leaving, because I'm waiting, but it's not always the truth," he said.

Meanwhile, Henderson said key defender Michael Jamison (calf) and Bryce Gibbs (back) would face fitness tests on Wednesday to determine their availability for the Blues' clash with Port Adelaide at the MCG on Saturday.

Henderson said he hoped Carlton's tight-run contest against Adelaide, before the club's bye in round 11, would give the team plenty of confidence ahead of its duel with the Power.

"We saw some great improvements with the team against Adelaide. Whether that was a flick of the switch where it gets going, let's hope it is and it goes into Port Adelaide this weekend," Henderson said.

Henderson was on hand to donate more than $13,000 as part of the club's partnership with the Steven Walter Children’s Cancer Foundation.