FREMANTLE has narrowly avoided a huge AFL upset, scraping home against a second-string Gold Coast at a dreary Metricon Stadium.

The Suns incredibly came close to victory over the competition frontrunners, spending most of a pulsating final quarter trailing by less than a kick.

But they were unable drag themselves over the line as the Dockers managed to hang on 6.17 (53) to 7.4 (46).

Click here for full match coverage and stats

In terms of ladder positions, a Suns victory would have been the biggest upset in the League's history.

It came down to the final moments, as a low-scoring contest ended in a sudden flurry of goals.

Nick Suban kicked what appeared to be the sealer with a minute to go from a free kick just metres out from goal, but the Suns kept coming and Tom Lynch provided an almost instant reply.

In the end the Suns ran out of time but would have won plenty of admirers after a strong four-quarter performance supported by an even spread of contributors.

Five talking points: Gold Coast v Fremantle

Relieved Fremantle coach Ross Lyon heaped praise on a hugely depleted young Suns outfit for their dogged determination in making life tough for the Dockers, who had the better of open play but failed to make it count.

"We walk away with some frustrations today but they would have been greater if the scare had come true and we'd lost," Lyon said.

"I think (the result) belies the general play dominance and entry dominance.

"We couldn't quite capitalise, it was a difficult day, they had numbers back.

"Rodney Eade is a very good coach and he's very good at trying to equal things up when his team's an underdog."

Predictions of a Freo bloodbath proved well off the mark, with the ladder leaders again a long way from their best - a week on from their first defeat of the season against Richmond.

But Lyon said he would not dwell on the performance.

"At the end of the day, we turn at the break 10-1, we get a week off (and will) come back pretty invigorated about the second half of the year," he said.

Most of Fremantle's failings were down to the Suns.

Where they stumbled against Hawthorn and the Sydney Swans in the previous two rounds, Gold Coast was able to drag the game down to their level and stop Fremantle's damaging run-and-gun style.

Eade said it felt like a watershed moment for his young group, who fell agonisingly short of a result that would have sent shockwaves through the competition.

"I couldn't ask for any more from them to be honest," he said.

"On the back of our last three weeks ... they've seen the light about where we're headed and what we're trying to achieve.

"The weight of numbers, guys are buying in.

"It's a corner and I think we've turned it but the trick is we don't want to go back around the corner."

Acting captain Michael Rischitelli (17 touches) and boom rookie Adam Saad (20 touches) led the way for the Suns, who lost Danny Stanley to a knee injury early in the first quarter.

The early diagnosis is that Stanley has strained his medial ligament and could be out for up to two months - but there is relief on the injury front with up to nine players set to be available after next week's bye.

Nathan Fyfe was below his usual high standards but still amassed a game-high 31 possessions and booted two goals to finish as Fremantle's best.

Ruckman Aaron Sandilands also had a day out with 71 hit-outs, breaking his own VFL/AFL record set a fortnight ago.

Touk Miller and Michael Rischitelli put the heat on Nat Fyfe at Metricon Stadium. Picture: AFL Media


GOLD COAST     2.0   3.1  5.2   7.4 (46)
FREMANTLE       1.3  3.7  5.11 6.17 (53)

Gold Coast: Raines 2, Lemmens, Lynch, Miller, Rischitelli, Kolodjashnij
Fremantle: Fyfe 2, Suban, Hannath, Crozier, Neale 

Gold Coast: Rischitelli, Saad, Raines, Kolodjashnij, Boston, Harbrow
Fremantle: Fyfe, Mundy, C.Pearce, Sandilands, Sutcliffe, McPharlin, Spurr 

Gold Coast: Stanley (knee)
Fremantle: Nil

Gold Coast: Nick Malceski replaced Danny Stanley in the first quarter
Fremantle: Nick Suban replaced Matthew Taberner in the third quarter

Reports: Nil

Umpires: Fisher, Rosebury, O'Gorman

Official crowd: 8911 at Metricon Stadium