Main content

Giants smash insipid Carlton in record-breaking win

Highlights: Carlton v GWS The Blues and Giants clash in round seven
Jeremy Cameron and Will Hoskin-Elliott of the Giants celebrate a goal  during the 2015 AFL Round 07 match between the Carlton Blues and the GWS Giants at Etihad Stadium, Melbourne on May 16, 2015. (Photo: Darrian Traynor/AFL Media)
Jeremy Cameron and Will Hoskin-Elliott celebrate a goal on Saturday night

GREATER Western Sydney has piled the misery onto Carlton, thrashing the hapless Blues by a record 78 points in their Saturday twilight clash.

A week after upsetting Hawthorn for the best win of their short history, the Giants backed up with the 19.21 (135) to 9.3 (57) rout at Etihad Stadium.

Five talking points: Carlton v GWS

It is the Giants' biggest winning margin since they joined the AFL in 2012, easily beating their 64-point win over Melbourne last season. It’s also their largest ever score. 

GWS out-ran and outclassed Carlton, which had made six unforced changes in a desperate bid to kick-start its floundering season.

The Giants won the inside 50m count by a whopping 78-32 and coach Leon Cameron was ecstatic his side followed up last week's defining win over Hawthorn. 

"We've been on the back end of a lot of beltings over the first few years and bigger margins than that, so to win all quarters I think was really pleasing," Cameron said.

"It was an emotional week last week knocking off the Hawks (and) there's always that question mark of a young group.

"But clearly I can see they've got a huge appetite to work hard."

The belting means more pressure on the Blues and their coach Mick Malthouse, who is out of contract at the end of the season.

Malthouse in awe of Giants' young list

After posting their only win so far this season on Anzac Day against St Kilda in New Zealand, the Blues gave nothing against Collingwood and was upset last weekend by the Brisbane Lions.

The Blues were never in the hunt against the League's newest side, showing again how badly Carlton has fallen from power.

Only 16,676 fans attended the match, following last week's Blues home crowd of 20,273.

But the one-sided game was also a stark reflection of how quickly GWS has emerged this season.

The win cements the Giants in the top eight with a 5-2 record, while the Blues are languishing at 17th on the ladder on 1-6.

Blues coach Mick Malthouse was preaching unity among his beleagured team after the match. 

"We know we're well short of what we require. Well short," Malthouse said .

"You can yell and do all bits and pieces that are totally inadequate and totally rehearsed, but why do it? In a sensible fashion, let's look at ... what did we do and what do we have to do.

"The principle thing is there has got to be still a unity. The moment we fragment at a football team level - in other words the players and the coaches - if there's a fragmentation in that, the whole lot goes down."

Midfielder Adam Treloar was best afield with 32 possessions and three goals, while Stephen Coniglio starred with 32 possessions and seven clearances.

After a quiet first half, key forward Jeremy Cameron kicked five goals and Shane Mumford was outstanding again in the ruck.

Cameron kicked the first goal of the match, a booming shot from outside 50m.

After Carlton hit the front with two early goals, the Giants kicked the next three for a 16-point lead at the first change and extended that to 33 at half-time.

The Giants nearly doubled their score in the third term, kicking eight goals to four and blowing the lead out to 61 points at the last change.

Their only setback involved veteran midfielder Ryan Griffen, who was subbed off in the third term with a knee injury.

They were going to have an unchanged side for the first time since they joined the AFL in 2012, but Phil Davis was a late withdrawal because of a leg injury.

A calf injury also forced Blues onballer Patrick Cripps out of the team on Saturday.

Veteran midfielder Chris Judd was clearly Carlton's best player, picking up 25 disposals and kicking two goals.

Ed Curnow, Andrejs Everitt and Levi Casboult also could not be faulted for their work-rate.

Tomas Bugg is tackled by Dale Thomas on Saturday night. Picture: Darrian Traynor, AFL Media

CARLTON                                         2.0   4.1     8.2     9.3     (57)
GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY      4.4  8.10  16.15 19.21  (135)

Carlton: Judd 2, Menzel 2, Everitt, Wood, Yarran, Casboult, Bell
Greater Western Sydney: Cameron 5, Treloar 3, Scully 2, Stewart 2, McCarthy 2, Hoskin-Elliott, Coniglio, Greene, Patfull, Williams

Carlton: Judd, Tuohy, Curnow, Rowe, Everitt, Murphy
Greater Western Sydney: Coniglio, Shiel, Treloar, Cameron, Mumford, Bugg

Carlton: Patrick Cripps (tight calf) replaced in selected side by David Ellard, Marc Murphy (nose),
Greater Western Sydney: Ryan Griffen (knee)

Carlton: David Ellard replaced Matthew Watson in the third quarter
Greater Western Sydney: Zac Williams replaced Ryan Griffen in the third quarter

Reports: Nil

Umpires: Hosking, McInerney, Mitchell

Official crowd: 16,676 at Etihad Stadium