JAY Schulz kicked a club record-equalling eight goals in Port Adelaide's 72-point belting of the Western Bulldogs at Adelaide Oval.

WATCH: Eight of the best from Jay Schulz

Port tore the Bulldogs apart in the second half to win 19.14 (128) to 8.8 (56).

Schulz is only the second Port player to kick eight in a match, following Warren Tredrea's bag against Carlton in 1998.

Five talking points: Port Adelaide v Western Bulldogs

Schulz kicked four goals in the last quarter and is the outright leader in the Coleman Medal.

Saturday's win is the first time Port have beaten the Bulldogs since 2006, ending a seven-game losing streak.

Robbie Gray and Ollie Wines also starred for Port through the midfield and Alipate Carlile was rock-solid in defence.

A week after their major upset win over Collingwood, the Bulldogs fell away badly after a strong start.

It was also a painful trip to the "Portress" for the Dogs, with captain Ryan Griffen (back), defender Jordan Roughead (shoulder) and key forward Jarrad Grant (broken nose) all hurt.

Bulldog veteran Daniel Giansiracusa was booked for rough conduct after a late bump on Jared Polec at the start of the last quarter.

Coach Brendan McCartney said the injuries, particularly to Griffen, didn't do his side any favours but he was more concerned with its lack of effort in the second half.
"It obviously took a highly talented player (Griffen) away from the ball but I don't make excuses," he said.
"Our effort and our application in the second half got exposed and it showed where they're at as a footy team, which is on top and where we're at. There are no excuses.”

Leading by 12 points at half-time, the Power broke clear with six goals to one in the third term.

Wines led the onslaught with 13 disposals for the quarter.

Port started the game impressively with a coast-to-coast goal, but the Bulldogs were winning more of the ball early.

After four missed shots, the Dogs kicked two goals and opened up a 16-point lead.

The Power hit back with the last two goals of the opening term and the first of the second to take back the lead.

As the Dogs lost Griffen and Roughead to injury, Port took control and opened up a two-goal lead at the main break.

Roughead was able to return, but Griffen was subbed out at half-time.

Roughead then landed heavily in the third term, hurting his shoulder again, forcing him out of the game as well.

Contested ball is normally the cornerstone of the Bulldogs' game, but after their promising start they were outworked badly

After allowing the Bulldogs to score eight times in the opening term, Power coach Ken Hinkley was thrilled with his side's defensive effort in the final three quarters.
Port kicked 16 goals to five after quarter time.
"I think the pleasing thing for us was that after the first quarter we stood up really strongly in defence," Hinkley said.
"We were able to then turn that good defence into some good offence."
Chad Wingard gets a kick away under pressure from Marcus Bontempelli. Picture: AFL Media

PORT ADELAIDE              3.1   7.5    13.9   19.14 (128)
WESTERN BULLDOGS    3.5   5.5     6.7     8.7 (55)

Port Adelaide: Schulz 8, Westhoff 3, Boak 2, Gray, Jonas, Cornes, Mitchell, Polec, Ebert
Western Bulldogs: Giansiracusa 2, Liberatore, Stevens, Hrovat, Minson, Tutt, Bontempelli

Port Adelaide: Schulz, Wines, Wingard, Westhoff, Polec, Boak
Western Bulldogs: Higgins, Macrae, Picken, Hrovat, Boyd, Liberatore

Port Adelaide: Nil
Western Bulldogs: Griffen (back spasms), Grant (broken nose), Roughead (shoulder)

Port Adelaide: Kane Mitchell replaced by Aaron Young in the fourth quarter
Western Bulldogs: Ryan Griffen replaced by Daniel Giansiracusa at half time

Port Adelaide: Nil
Western Bulldogs: Giansiracusa reported for rough conduct by umpire Margetts in the fourth quarter

Umpires: Margetts, Stevic, Hay

Crowd: 34,258 at Adelaide Oval