GREATER Western Sydney is totally at ease with the decision to reinstate Toby Greene to the senior side after just one week back in the reserves.

Greene was slapped with a five-game suspension by the club following his night out in Melbourne back in May that resulted in the young midfielder being arrested and hit with a number of assault charges.

He made his return to the field in the reserves last week, starring with 40 touches and a goal against the Sydney Swans, leading to a swift recall for Saturday's AFL clash with Adelaide.

GWS coach Leon Cameron faced a barrage of questions about the 20-year-old after training on Friday and insisted Greene had done everything asked of him by the club.

And with Heath Shaw failing to recover from concussion and Josh Hunt and Nathan Wilson omitted this week, Cameron said the simple fact was a place had opened up for Greene.

"In terms of him playing one game in the reserves or whether he played two or three, he served his five weeks," Cameron told reporters.

"Whether he was going to play this week or next week or the week after, a spot has opened up for Toby to play and he's grabbed it because he's played some good football (and) his fitness levels are no concern.

"Do you play him two or three weeks in the reserves to earn respect back? No, a spot came up and he was selected."

Greene had a stunning debut year in GWS colours, finishing runner-up in the best and fairest to Callan Ward in 2012 before battling a more difficult second season.

He had taken a step forward early in 2014, averaging 25 possessions and four tackles through seven games prior to his ill-fated night out in Melbourne.

Cameron said Greene had shown remorse for his actions, but insisted the way he had handled himself the entire time – outside of that one night out – meant he was still held in high regard.

"I don't want people to turn up 30 minutes early to training just to show they're remorseful," Cameron said.

"You gain that (respect back) by the actions you do on the field and off the field and Toby, other than one incident, has been terrific for this footy club."

While Greene will be back on the AFL arena this week, he is still to face the assault charges in court later in the year.

But it is clear he will have the full support of his club.

"The club will always support and help him. We've stated that from the day it happened," Cameron said.

"The club made a decision and I think it was handled really, really well by the leadership group, by the board, by the entire football club.

"But in terms of what happens later on, we'll support him through that."

GWS vice-captain Tom Scully, who will also make his playing return this week following two weeks out with a hamstring injury, was part of the leadership group that determined Greene's punishment.

Scully stressed it was important the young club take a strong stance against Greene as it forges an identity.

"We thought it was an appropriate punishment and Toby has served his time and gone about it in the right manner and he's got his chance," Scully said.

"We had to make a pretty courageous decision, I think. The soft option would've been to go a bit lighter.

"But the club made a strong stance and our off-field stuff needs to be squeaky clean trying to build a club and build a culture.

"It's not easy, but if you want your club to stand for something, you have to make a strong point and I think we did that."

Meanwhile, Cameron said Shaw was "a fair way off" passing the concussion test following the heavy hit he copped from Kurt Tippett last week and may not be ready for next week's trip to face Fremantle.

The GWS coach is also confident his side can compete against a Crows outfit that has won all four previous matches against the Giants by an average of 91 points.