PORT Adelaide is surprised the AFL's investigation into Sam Powell-Pepper's off-field incident is still continuing, with the young midfielder in line to return for Saturday night's clash with Geelong at Adelaide Oval.
Powell-Pepper has served his one-game club imposed suspension for breaking team rules, but could face further punishment based on the findings of the AFL's investigation.
Speaking to reporters on Wednesday morning, Power chief executive Keith Thomas said the AFL had yet to inform the club of its findings.
"It is still with the AFL," Thomas said.
"We thought it might have been over by now and resolved, but it's such an important issue.
"In effect, you've got two, 20-year-old people involved in an incident that needs to be fully understood.
"So, the AFL needs to take as much time as it needs to go through that process.
"We think we're getting close to the end of it, but there's a lot involved."
Powell-Pepper would be expected to slot straight back into the team if he doesn't face any additional sanctions from the AFL, especially with Tom Rockliff likely to be ruled out with a calf injury.
Power captain Travis Boak – who shares a house with Powell-Pepper – said the 20-year-old would mature from the experience.
"It's been a challenge for Sam, he's a young kid, there's no doubt about that," Boak said.
"He's learned his lesson in terms of team penalties.
"He'll grow and be a better person for it."
Powell-Pepper has played 25 games for the Power and finished third in voting for the Rising Star award last year.
He was suspended for last Sunday's 22-point loss to Essendon – the Power's first defeat of the season.