PATRICK Dangerfield's Brownlow Medal hopes are over after Geelong decided not to appeal his one-match ban for a tackle on Carlton's Matthew Kreuzer that left the Blues ruckman concussed.

The suspension means the Cats superstar is ineligible to win a second successive Brownlow.

Dangerfield told media on Tuesday that the decision was "about moving forward".

He said nobody liked missing games of football, but there was "a greater goal" at stake for the club that was "bigger than myself".

In the end, Dangerfield said, it was about making a decision "that is the best for us as a club".

If the Cats had chosen to challenge the ban they would have risked Dangerfield missing a second match for an unsuccessful appeal, with Friday night's clash against Sydney followed by a crunch game against top-four rival Richmond in round 21.

Tigers midfielder Dustin Martin is now the hot favourite to win the league's best-and-fairest award.

Brownlow not a factor in challenge decision's medal predictor has the Richmond superstar a massive 13 votes ahead of the next eligible player, Hawthorn's Tom Mitchell, with four games remaining.

Geelong insisted it was focussed on team success rather than individual honours in making its call on a challenge.

"After seeking independent advice, the club has decided to accept the penalty handed down to Pat by the Match Review Panel," Geelong's general manager of football, Steve Hocking, said in a statement released by the Cats. 

"The club reviewed all possibilities around the case in coming to this decision. We respect the fact that the Match Review Panel has a challenging and difficult role and has to operate under high scrutiny. 

"While there has been a lot of debate around Pat's eligibility for the Brownlow Medal, Pat and the club have at all times remained focussed on what is best for the team as we head towards to last part of the season."

It is the first time Dangerfield has been suspended in his 196-game career, and the ban ends a streak of 92 consecutive games that began in round 19, 2013, when he was playing with Adelaide.