BRISBANE is the new competition leader after a remarkable one-point victory over Geelong at a packed Gabba on Saturday afternoon.

In one of the games of the season, Lincoln McCarthy was the hero against his former club.

WATCH The thrilling final two minutes

With Brisbane trailing by four points and just 90 seconds remaining, McCarthy launched himself on to the shoulders of Jack Henry to pull down a spectacular mark. He calmly went back and slotted the set shot from 30m to give the Lions the lead.

Brisbane held on in the frantic final stages to win 10.15 (75) to 10.14 (74).

It was the Lions' ninth straight win and had the 35,608 fans in raptures.

LIONS BY A WHISKER Full match coverage and stats

Geelong players were strewn over the Gabba turf following the final siren – a combination of exhaustion and despair.

The improbable victory was reminiscent of Brisbane's last win over Geelong at the Gabba, the 'Miracle on Grass' in 2013 when Ash McGrath kicked a goal after the siren.

'TASTE OF WHAT'S TO COME' Hungry Lions well set for finals, says Fagan

The Lions will enter their final round against Richmond at the MCG as the likely league leaders after they overcame a 17-point final-quarter deficit.

They have now wrapped up a top-four spot.

SHOWREEL Charlie lights up the Gabba

Charlie Cameron was again captivating in the hot conditions, kicking five goals to take his season tally to 52.

Brisbane's midfield finished full of run, with Jarryd Lyons (28), Lachie Neale (28) and Hugh McCluggage (27) all highly involved in the final quarter.

Its defence should be commended though, particularly Marcus Adams, who kept Tom Hawkins goalless and finished with 19 disposals and 10 marks himself.

Brisbane played the second half a man down after Allen Christensen went off during the second quarter with a hamstring injury.

The match was a war of attrition for all four quarters with neither team able to gain momentum.

'IT WAS A MISTAKE' Chris Scott rues umpire's controversial call

Geelong superstar Patrick Dangerfield looked like winning the game almost on his own, finishing with 37 disposals and a long-range final quarter goal.

Tim Kelly (26) and Gary Ablett (24) were also highly involved.

Geelong gained the ascendancy just before half-time, turning a tight contest into a 17-point advantage with three late goals.

Quinton Narkle made the most of a dropped Luke Hodge mark, snapping truly and then it was Gryan Miers' turn just moments later when he shrugged a flimsy Darcy Gardiner tackle to finish cleverly.

Esava Ratugolea then out-bodied Harris Andrews to take a wonderful contested mark and give the Cats some breathing space with a safe set shot from 30m.

Brisbane: Small forward Allen Christensen suffered a hamstring injury in the second quarter. Coach Chris Fagan said he did not know the severity but speculated it could be anywhere from two to four weeks recovery, which would leave him racing to be fit for week one of the finals. Darcy Gardiner got a "stinger" to his right shoulder and was off for 10 minutes during the third quarter but returned to play the game out. 

Geelong: There appeared to be no problems for the Cats.

Brisbane will have to overcome one of the most difficult assignments in footy if it's to win the minor premiership, taking on Richmond next Sunday at the MCG at 3.20pm (AEST). Geelong hosts Carlton in a critical encounter at GMHBA Stadium on Saturday at 4.35pm.

BRISBANE   1.3   4.8   6.12  10.15 (75)
GEELONG     2.2   7.7   8.9   10.14 (74)

Brisbane: Cameron 5, McCluggage, Zorko, Neale, Lyons, McCarthy
Geelong: Miers 2, Ratugolea 2, Dahlhaus, Guthrie, Duncan, Bews, Narkle, Dangerfield

Brisbane:Adams, Cameron, Neale, Lyons, McCluggage, Andrews
GeelongDangerfield, Stewart, Kelly, Ablett, Atkins, Duncan

Brisbane: Christensen (hamstring)
Geelong: TBC

Reports: Nil

Umpires: Donlon, Foot, Hosking

Official crowd: 35,608 at the Gabba