ESSENDON has signed running revelation Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti to a new three-year deal after his breakout 2016 season.
The Bombers rookie was elevated to the senior list earlier this year and has impressed with his pace and hardness across half-back.
Essendon drafted McDonald-Tipungwuti last year after he played for its VFL side, and the 23-year-old will now be tied to the Bombers until at least the end of 2019.
"Essendon gave me the chance to play AFL, and I'm really happy to keep playing my footy for the Bombers," McDonald-Tipungwuti said in a club statement.
"I have learnt a lot this year since getting my chance to play senior footy, I know I have to keep working hard on my game but I'm really enjoying playing my football under 'Woosha' [coach John Worsfold]."
McDonald-Tipungwuti has played 19 games in his debut season, and has also been tried in attack as a half-forward.
Worsfold said the Bombers had been rapt with McDonald-Tipungwuti's development.
"He works hard and has a long way to go with his development but we can't deny his electric pace, clean use of the footy and his aggressive tackles add something very special to our line up," he said.
"We're really excited about where we are heading as a club and to have 'Walla' part of this journey next year is fantastic."
The news follows the re-signing of key defender Michael Hurley, who recommitted to the Bombers through to the end of 2022 on Thursday.
Stand-in skipper Brendon Goddard also looks set to agree to a new one-year contract, with AFL.com.au reporting on Friday the 31-year-old will have a trigger clause to play on in 2018.