NORTH Melbourne midfielder Ben Cunnington has accepted his whopping $5000 fine, having been sanctioned for the fifth time this season for striking Jade Gresham.
Cunnington has now been fined a total of $15,500 for five separate offences this year alone, charged four times for striking and once for making careless contact with an umpire.
BE CAREFUL, BEN Little-known clause puts serial offender on Tribunal tightrope
The star midfielder's hit on Gresham was seen by the Match Review Officer as intentional conduct with low impact to the body, equating to yet another massive financial sanction.
The Match Review guidelines offer $2000 fines for first low-level classifiable offences, $3000 fines for second offences and $5000 fines for third and subsequent offences.
Cunnington can challenge this most recent monetary sanction at the AFL Tribunal, though will risk an $8000 fine should his appeal prove unsuccessful.
He has already been fined for striking Fremantle's Nathan Wilson in round one, then again for striking Port Adelaide's Robbie Gray and Brad Ebert in round six.
He was one of nine players who accepted their sanctions in round 16, with fines totalling just under $20,000.
Elsewhere, Fremantle captain Nat Fyfe was fined $2000 for rough conduct on Elliot Yeo, having caught the West Coast midfielder with a stray arm to the head on Saturday night.
In the Showdown, Port Adelaide's Hamish Hartlett was handed a $1500 fixed financial sanction for striking Rory Atkins.
The nine players fined across the weekend were:
- Hawthorn's Dan Howe fined $2000 for kneeing Scott Pendlebury.
- Essendon's Shaun McKernan fined $2000 for striking Jordan Dawson.
- Port Adelaide's Hamish Hartlett fined $1500 for striking Rory Atkins.
- Port Adelaide's Dougal Howard fined $2000 for striking Jake Kelly.
- Adelaide's Brodie Smith fined $2000 for rough conduct on Steven Motlop.
- Fremantle's Luke Ryan fined $1000 for a tackle on Jarrod Cameron.
- West Coast's Liam Duggan fined $2000 for rough conduct on Nat Fyfe.
- Fremantle's Nat Fyfe fined $2000 for rough conduct on Elliot Yeo.
- North Melbourne's Ben Cunnington fined $5000 for striking Jade Gresham.