THE AFL is pleased to announce round 15 of the Toyota AFL Premiership Season delivered three matches with record crowds between the competing teams.
Thursday night at the MCG was the highest attended game ever between Melbourne and Brisbane (37,728), while it was the largest crowds for both Carlton hosting Fremantle (35,441) and Geelong hosting Richmond (59,335).
Port Adelaide vs Gold Coast (26,214) was the second highest attended match between the two clubs ever.
Round 15 was the third highest attended round for the season (299,545), behind round one (362,874) and round three (321,995).
2022 Toyota Premiership Season matches have been littered with record breaking attendances between competing clubs including:
- Round 1, Melbourne v Western Bulldogs (58,002) – Highest ever attendance (H&A) between these two clubs.
- Round 5, Carlton v Port Adelaide (33,433) – Highest ever attendance for Carlton hosting Port Adelaide
- Round 6, Western Bulldogs v Adelaide Crows (10,412) – Largest ever crowd at Mars Stadium (Ballarat)
- Round 6, Fremantle v Carlton (42,302) – Highest ever attendance between these two clubs
- Round 10, Carlton v Sydney Swans (44,769) – Highest ever Carlton crowd against a non-Victorian team
- Round 12, Fremantle v Brisbane Lions (47,214) – Highest ever attendance between these clubs
AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan thanked fans for their unwavering loyalty so far this season.
"To the 3.9 million fans who have attended an AFL match so far this season – thank you for being part of the game's bounce back in 2022 after two years where footy has been so heavily impacted by Covid," he said.
"The footy is compelling and is rating brilliantly, our best games are delivering record results and once again we are closing in on the all-time membership record.
"Thank you to everyone so far who has played a part in attending, promoting, advocating and being part of this season. The total number of fans consuming our game continues to grow and our work never stops in getting as many fans engaging in footy as possible."
Top 10 crowds in 2022
Richmond, Carlton or Collingwood have featured in every one of the top 10 attended matches this season.
|Round 6, Essendon v Collingwood||84,205|
|Round 11, Collingwood v Carlton||80,627|
|Round 13, Collingwood v Melbourne||76,059|
|Round 1, Carlton v Richmond||72,179|
|Round 6, Richmond v Melbourne||70,334|
|Round 10, Richmond v Essendon||70,226|
|Round 3, Carlton v Hawthorn||66,317|
|Round 13, Essendon v Carlton||65,440|
|Round 8, Richmond v Collingwood||64,481|
|Round 15, Geelong v Richmond||59,335|