TOBY Greene has escaped conviction but been fined $2500 for his part in a Melbourne pub brawl earlier this year.
The Greater Western Sydney midfielder was sanctioned in the Melbourne Magistrates' Court after pleading guilty to a charge of unlawful assault.
Greene appeared in court and later issued a statement that apologised for his actions and said he had learned from the incident.
"I accept the penalty handed down by the court today and I am very sorry for the distress my actions have caused," Greene said.
"I also accepted the five-match suspension and $5000 fine imposed by the club's board on the recommendation of the leadership group in May.
"I acknowledge that I let myself, family, friends and teammates down. I have learned a lot about my responsibilities as a citizen and to my club.
"I now look forward to returning to training and continuing to make a contribution to the club and the community both on and off the field."
He was suspended for five games by the Giants and fined $5000 – the maximum allowed under rules agreed to by the AFL Players' Association, the clubs and the AFL – when the incident happened.
The talented midfielder, who was taken by the Giants with pick No.11 in the 2011 NAB AFL Draft, was punished internally after failing to notify the club within an acceptable timeframe and for drinking while injured.
The incident took place at Zagames bar in Caulfield ahead of the Giants' first bye in round nine.
It featured an altercation between Greene and a school friend with a Zagames crowd controller, who reportedly suffered lacerations to his hands, a broken finger and soreness to his head and neck as a result.
Greene's original charges included intentionally causing serious injury, recklessly causing injury, affray, assault in company, assault by kicking, assault with a weapon, unlawful assault, making threats to inflict serious injury, being drunk in a public place and criminal damage.
He returned to the senior side in round 16 and finished off the season well, averaging more than 30 possessions in eight games and finishing sixth in GWS' best and fairest.
The Giants said on Tuesday it considered the matter over and would not issue further sanctions.
"The club took a strong position when it dealt with this matter earlier this year," football manager Graeme Allan said.
"Toby has accepted responsibility for his actions and we are confident he has emerged from this experience a better person."