FREMANTLE forward Jesse Hogan's breach of the WA Government's strict COVID-19 protocols has cost him $8000.

Hogan received the fine at Fremantle Magistrates Court on Tuesday, after inviting a woman to his home only hours after returning to the state in September from the Dockers' hub stay in Cairns.

WHO'S MOVING? All the latest trade and contract news

The 25-year-old was serving the first of 14 days in quarantine when the incident happened, leading to him spending the rest of the time at a supervised Perth hotel. 

Unapproved visitors were banned as part of the restrictions agreed upon between the WA Government and the AFL that enabled footballers and staff to serve quarantine at their home.

03:36 Mins
Published on

Why Charlie loves playing the Cats, plus Magpie 'not going anywhere'

Nat Edwards with a news update

Published on

Hogan's lawyer, Terry Dobson, told the court his client "fell into a trap because of the attraction of a young lady" and that it was "a lapse in judgment" after not being with a woman for several months. 

The police prosecutor said Hogan contacted the woman by text message and instructed her not to park in his driveway to avoid attention.

She left soon after because of an argument between the pair, but Hogan convinced her to stay the night after realising she was intoxicated and couldn't drive.

The Magistrate recorded a conviction against Hogan despite his lawyer applying for him to be granted a spent conviction that would avoid the offence being recorded against him.

Dobson said one reason for the application was "looming" problems regarding Hogan's employment and the potential of him "living out his life in a rugby state, where he would never be known".

That reference is in regard to Fremantle's disappointment at his breach, which continued a rocky period since crossing to the club from Melbourne at the end of 2018.

WHO'S LEAVING? Your club's retirements and delistings

Hogan's three-year deal expires next season and he's so far kicked only 18 goals in 19 games, including a serious foot injury prematurely ending his 2019 season.

He also went on indefinite leave in January this year to focus on his mental health and not long after he returned competitively he sustained a calf injury that further interrupted his campaign.

Hogan did not comment outside of court after his sentencing.