DUSTIN Martin's drunken incident is the subject of an AFL and Richmond investigation and has become a public relations debacle for the Tigers.
Club chief executive Brendon Gale belatedly issued a statement on Tuesday afternoon, calling it a very serious matter and adding they are extremely disappointed in Martin.
That followed a call earlier in the day from Richmond legend Kevin Bartlett for the Tigers to throw the book at the midfielder.
Bartlett wants Martin banned for 12 months and to pay $50,000 to an appropriate woman's organisation.
He slammed Richmond's initial response on Monday to the controversy as pathetic.
Gale's statement was much stronger than the initial club confirmation on Monday, where they said Martin had apologised to the woman for the Saturday night incident.
Martin also confirmed he was drunk at the time.
Richmond football manager Dan Richardson had also described the incident on Monday as "a bit of a hiccup".
The woman, identified only as Tracey, said Martin threatened to stab her in the face with a chopstick.
He was eventually asked to leave the Mr Miyagi restaurant on Chapel St.
"This is a very serious matter that requires a thorough investigation and we are working with the AFL to ensure we have all the facts before us," Gale said in Tuesday's statement.
"I want to be clear that any threat of physical violence against a woman - or any member of the public for that matter - is completely unacceptable.
"Dustin is disappointed in his behaviour and we are incredibly disappointed in Dustin."
He repeated the club's comment on Monday that they expect to make a decision later this week on what action they will take over the incident.