TWO HORROR lower leg injuries marred round two of the AFL season. 

Classy Greater Western Sydney midfielder Tom Scully broke his right ankle in his first game for the season and underwent surgery on Sunday. 

Scully had missed round one and the entire JLT Community Series with a knee injury and had already recorded five disposals before his ankle was caught underneath him in a tackle in the first quarter against Collingwood. 

It is yet to be determined how many weeks Scully will miss.

Injury-prone Collingwood forward Tim Broomhead is also facing an extended period on the sidelines after breaking both the tibia and fibula bones in his left leg on Saturday.

The 24-year-old had surgery on Sunday after kicking the goalpost in Collingwood's 16-point loss to GWS. 

Broomhead has played just 35 games since being drafted with pick 20 in 2012, battling shoulder, ankle and wrist problems. 

Adelaide had a few injury concerns to important players in its 36-point win over Richmond in Thursday night's Grand Final rematch.

The most serious was to ball magnet Matt Crouch, who injured his left hamstring in the second quarter. 

He had it looked at by club physios and was icing it by half-time.

"It's a bit early to tell, they'll scan it the next couple of days and assess that," coach Don Pyke said in the post-match press conference.

"I'm not sure exactly where it is, if it's in the middle of the hamstring or on one side, but we'll assess that and let you know."

With Crouch already on the sidelines, there were a few scares sent through the Crows camp when vice-captain Rory Sloane left the field with a strained foot in the second term.

He had it re-strapped and returned to play out the game, finishing with 25 disposals.

David Mackay was concussed in the third term after copping an arm to the head from Josh Caddy, but with a nine-day break before the Crows' match against St Kilda, should be right to play. 

Collingwood's big men stocks took a further hit with Ben Reid (hip) a late withdrawal from the Pies' loss to GWS and Darcy Moore did not play after half-time with a hamstring strain. Coach Nathan Buckley said Moore was in doubt to play in next week's clash with Carlton.

"Darce was tight in the hammy, and when it cooled down at half-time, it wasn't right to continue," Buckley said. 

"We'll assess [whether he'll play in round three] when the dust settles, [but] when you don't finish the game, you're in some doubt, aren't you?"

Reid's hip complaint stems from the injury he picked up against Hawthorn in round one, but he is a good chance of playing in round three.

North Melbourne hard nut Ben Cunnington spent most of the third term against St Kilda either in the rooms or on the bench with a hip complaint. He returned to the field in the final term but was mostly restricted to the forward 50.

Carlton had a safety-first approach to vital ruckman Matthew Kreuzer, who was a late withdrawal before team's dispiriting loss to Gold Coast. 

Kreuzer had not yet recovered from the groin injury he suffered in round one, but is expected to be fully fit for Carlton's round three clash with Collingwood.

Sydney star Dan Hannebery could be in doubt for next weekend's Sydney derby after he suffered a right knee injury in the final minutes against Port Adelaide.

It was his his first game of the season and coach John Longmire said the star onballer would be monitored over the next few days.

    • Adelaide key defender Daniel Talia hyperextended his knee in the third term and got it looked at in the rooms. He returned and played out the match without incident.
    • North Melbourne duo Trent Dumont and Nathan Hrovat had lower limb and ankle complaints respectively early in the Kangeroos' big win over St Kilda but were able to finish the match with relative ease.
    • Billy Longer left the ground after getting a stray knee to the groin in the third term. The St Kilda ruckman returned in the final quarter but was clearly playing in some discomfort.
    • Gold Coast's Nick Holman suffered a bad cut under his eye in the match against his former side but returned to play without incident.
    • Young Carlton defender Ciaran Byrne left the ground in the fourth quarter with a left quad injury. He will undergo scans this week.
    • Toby Greene was a late withdrawal with hamstring tightness, but coach Leon Cameron said he would be right to play in round three against Sydney.
    • Bulldogs ruckman Jordan Roughead came off the ground after a big clash in the third term and did not return to the ground due to concussion.
    • Lin Jong celebrated his return to footy after a knee reconstruction with some friendly fire from teammate Tim English, going off the ground with a cut head. He was able to play out the game.