NORTH Melbourne is remaining tight-lipped on whether Richmond superstar Dustin Martin has indicated if he will accept its multimillion-dollar deal or remain at Punt Rd.
Martin travelled to New Zealand this week to discuss his future with his father, Shane, and his manager, Ralph Carr.
The restricted free agent is weighing up competing seven-year offers from North and Richmond, with the Kangaroos' deal believed to be worth about $1.5 million a season compared to the Tigers' offer of $1.1 million.
When Carr and Martin returned to Melbourne last night, the player manager told reporters his client would likely decide his future by the end of the week.
Given Richmond is about to enter a finals campaign with the double chance, there has been widespread speculation Carr's mooted timeline suggests Martin will recommit to the Tigers.
North coach Brad Scott gave little away on Wednesday when asked whether he was confident Martin would be at Arden St next year.
"I don't allow myself to think about those things. We've got people who are in charge of that side of the business," Scott said at the announcement of his new coaching contract.
"I've said from the outset that I don't think it's fair and reasonable to expect clubs to comment on players who are contracted at other clubs.
"I completely understand the speculation and the interest everyone's got in it but our position has been that we don't comment on players from other clubs.
"In saying that we're always looking to improve our list through any mechanism we can, so we'll continue to do that."
North chairman Carl Dilena played a similarly straight bat when asked whether he had been informed by Martin's management the midfielder would not be coming to North Melbourne.
"We won't comment on any specific players or any negotiations that might be occurring," Dilena said.